Damage control 2022

BilletHead

Well, another request from a neighbor for some beaver damage. What the heck I'll give it a whirl.  In a pond and I am very familiar with this place. Started fishing this pond in 1977 and hunted it in high school for ducks. Been through three landowners since.  It has aged just like me and now is at a fraction of where it once was, just like me :).  Grabbed a half dozen 330s. I have respect of these traps. They can be downright scary. Still some frost in the ground so day one drove truck in and set them. Looked like a bomb had gone off. So, so much damage. Beavers do what beavers do but good grief this was bad. Dam completely undermined with dens. A little island and two peninsulas the same. Trees destroyed. Sad from when I first found this place. Caught my first big bass out of here in 76.  Seven and a quarter pounds. Old fiberglass rod with a Abu Garcia 5000-bait caster loaded with braded Dracon line. The white stuff with the black thread in it, pretty stuff to a kid. Set four den sets, a castor sent set and below the dam in a slide where it enters another three small ponds the beaver had made from the seepage leak the little dam builders had created. This was all done on Monday before the front and storm we just had. 

Now to the checking the next morning Tuesday. Took the ATV because leaving Monday the thaw I created some ruts with truck. First den set I was greeted with one catch. thumbnail_IMG_20220201_080332075.jpg     Then I checked the remaining sets. The slide into bottom ponds tripped. I think I had it too shallow, and he ran into it instead of into it because of steep bank. Reset deeper and adjusted guide and dive sticks. The castor mound, well this was operator error. Trap knocked over and still set. What the heck? My bad I had not unlocked the safety latches. So, all reset went home and took out castor glands and both back hind quarters. 

Day two yesterday the blizzard, high winds and 20 degrees. I knew this was coming and knew I would be pulling traps but also knew the beaver would move well from the front coming in. So, it was miserable to say the least. From wind and warmer water due to 67-degree day air temps of setting I knew no freeze up my hopes were high. Mile round trip That snow and wind cut like a knife. Frozen moustache and icy glasses when I got to pond. Glasses went into pocket and now besides all other things I was blurry eyed. My buddy would say I'm not a bad kid just a dumb one or you have to be tough when you're stupid. I am both of the above. Same trap that caught the first at den I could make something out sticking up out of the slush covered water. I waded into the water and retrieved my catch. Pulled traps around pond and found at bottom of slide another beaver catch. Pulled rest of traps and made the trip back home,

thumbnail_20807 (1).jpg   Put catch on porch for a picture,

thumbnail_20811 (1).jpg      Got setting tool, compressed springs and took out catches. Into the warmer shop to get snow off and a few minutes for me and glasses to thaw out. Big one was 42 inches long and 51 pounds. Pretty respectful and my largest to date. thumbnail_IMG_20220202_092010420.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20220202_092832957_HDR.jpg      Skinned enough to remove castors and one more hind quarter from the big one plus its backstraps. Castors drying. They will go to a friend who catches a bunch of beaver and otter. He will make lure and sell castor. thumbnail_IMG_20220202_114005463.jpg    My shop smells like castor and it is really quite pleasant smell. The remaining beaver carcasses will feed other wildlife including the eagles hanging around. Songbirds will appreciate the energy the fat will add to their diet. 

I make nothing from doing this just for friends and a simple thank you. When we get a thaw will reset here and another place where I was asked to get rid of a few.

thumbnail_IMG_20220202_092839793.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

4 minutes ago, laker67 said:

I can a rising new star for the TV series "Mountain Men".

I don't think so Willis :). 

I would be happy just to be a whisker on Jim Bridgers beard.

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

7 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Have you ever eaten the tail?  Supposedly they are good but I've never tried it.

No, I was told it was overrated so will probably never know. It was said they ate it for the fat calories. 

8 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Beavers are so darn cute.   How could you?!!! 🤗

Not if they destroyed your pond :)    Image result for scary beaver picture

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Beavers don't intend to destroy ponds.....they think they are IMPROVING them.    

Don't be a heartless evil heathen !  😁 

If it weren't for beavers....... (Oh boy, ok I'd better stop right there, before Terrierman wears his fingerprints off on the delete key).  

2 hours ago, curtisce said:

They are cute but they are trouble. Maybe if they were left alone they owuld just ruin one place. Now they move around tearing up everywhere they go

Sending them your way Curt! Enjoy buddy! 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

I've eaten beaver. Backstrap, I think, but it was already cooked when I saw it, extremely lean and tasted very rich, if a bit tough. which might have been in the cooking method. But yes the tails were eaten for the fat content, most wild game meat doesn't have fat like beef or 'coon.