7/23/22 Trip Report

Terrierman

Some will recall me getting asked if I fish.  There's a two grandson and one friend and one old man day float happening on 7/23/22.  I'll keep you all informed on progress.

It's supposed to be 100+ on Saturday.  We'll need to start early.

Today is the first day of prep for the trip.  Got the canoe down from the top of the shop lean to and hosed it out good.  I've got two kayaks (in the background) and one is coming with the young men.  So we're going to need the trailer.

Mad River on Trailer.jpg

Pictures or it didn't happen, right John?  So this is for you.

Tomorrow I'll do something else.

Update:  I just rubbed down all the wood with boiled linseed oil.  Don't want to do a partial report or anything.  Photo of the second coat going on tomorrow for John.  I need a new piece of rope too, so will stop by the Ace Hardware while I'm out to buy some more tomatoes.  I'll photo that tomorrow too John.

Baits are built.  Only glued my fingers to one bait.  My riverbox is pretty simple. 

riverbox.jpg

riverbox 2.jpg

Picking up the boys this afternoon in Jasper.  Going out for dinner tonight at the place of their choice.  Sure it will be hot but we will start early and have fun regardless.

1 hour ago, Terrierman said:

Baits are built.  Only glued my fingers to one bait.  My riverbox is pretty simple. 

riverbox.jpg

riverbox 2.jpg

Picking up the boys this afternoon in Jasper.  Going out for dinner tonight at the place of their choice.  Sure it will be hot but we will start early and have fun regardless.

You'll catch fish on a lot of those baits Rick! Thanks for the photos👍

17 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

You'll catch fish on a lot of those baits Rick! Thanks for the photos👍

I still owe you a picture of the new rope. 😉  I'm kind of excited to try those elaztech critters and swimbaits.

5 hours ago, Terrierman said:

riverbox.jpg

riverbox 2.jpg

Looking so forward to this trip and report Rick!  Have fun and catch a bunch or just a few. Time with family and friends is so important.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Ok, verbiage first.  We did get up early and were on the river by 7:00.  I've owned a canoe since I was 21 and have floated a lot of rivers and creeks in the intervening 49 years.  Without a single doubt, yesterday was the most physically challenging float trip ever.  The Finley was so low I know we spent every bit as much time dragging boats as we ever did paddling.  The rocks and especially shelf rock were incredibly slick.  But I only fell once.  And as promised, it was sure enough hot.  Enough complaining.

The boys had a great time and so did I - mostly watching them - they're young, live in Nevada and fish mostly farm ponds.  They really liked the clear water and fishing for something other than LM bass.  The picture of the smiling young one was his first smallmouth ever.  He said before we left that was all he really wanted to do - just catch one smallmouth.  We did better than that, everyone finished the day in double digits, mostly small brown bass, a few goggle eye and occasionally a long ear with a big enough mouth to get a hook in.  The big one (if you call 13" big) came on that elaztech paddle tail in the best spot in the stretch we floated.  

We drank a lot of water and gatorade. Spent time in the river up to the neck.  Didn't see anyone else on the water.  Finally got off just below the new Riverside bridge at about 4:00.  Man what a crowd that place draws!  But it's mostly family and didn't see anything that would offend anyone.  Not at all like what Linden used to be like.

When we got off the river, all I wanted was half a bottle of ibuprofen and five margaritas.  But I had a couple of red beers instead.  Now, for John especially, and anyone else who wants to see, here are a few pictures.

Wakey Wakey.  Even the camera can't focus first thing in the morning.

723wakeup.jpg

Vintage trailer.  Still very useful.

723vintagetrailer.jpg

Three good looking guys and one old man.

723boysandme.jpg

A rare stretch of floatable river.

723boysagain.jpg

First smallmouth

723firstsmallie.jpg

Rope picture as promised for John.  Getting the canoe down the typical riffle with not enough water to float a boat with me in it.

723rope2.jpg

These guys know how to eat!  They went through a dozen hardboiled eggs, a pound of ham, a pound of peppered turkey breast, a pound of cheddar jack and most of a loaf of bread.  And a bowl of watermelon and eight or ten bags of assorted chips.

723lunch.jpg

One of the better spots.

723bluff.jpg

That's it for now.  Wait, I had to prove that I actually fish.  This is the first little smallmouth of the day.  One of my favorite sayings applies here, every big fish started out as a little fish.  

723idofish.jpg

Now that really is it.