Public service announcement from BilletHead Jr.

Been there, done that and am having a dressing changed this afternoon on the third excision. Fortunately, all have been basal cell. I visit the dermatologist every six month, as my father died of bladder cancer, which can be a result of having skin cancer I've read.  

My first excision was a MOAS procedure, but it wasn't quick. The doc cut, scraped and then sent samples off to be analyzed while I waited. It took three hours and several scrapings before I was released.

I realize that I'm going to have to give up the ball caps and wear a broad-brimmed hat and sunscreen.

Long before Laker had his "serious" cancers, probably around age 55, he had his first squamous cell carcinoma on his arm.  He rarely wore sunscreen back then because he worked outside a lot.  The first one the removed was fairly deep.  From that point on it was a routine visit to the dermatologist to freeze or remove squamous and basal cancers, and one behind his ear included a MOHS treatment.  For the most part, it made him a believer in sunscreen.  When his hair thinned out a lot, he started wearing a gaiter.

8 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

What blows my mind is that I never knew, or even heard of anyone with a dangerous form of skin cancer until I was in my mid-40's

A mere 15 years later and now it seems that everyone has it.  Or if they don't have it then they know 10 people that do.  Including youngsters.  

If I thought about it I bet I could come up with a sizable list of other "ailments" that fit that same pattern. So what the heck is happening to the human race ?  🤔 

How old were YOU when you first heard the term "Basil cell, or Squamous cell carcinoma" ?   And did everyone in your circles lather themselves with sunscreen and stay in the shade their whole lives?  

20 years ago howany people did you know that even knew what a dermatologist was, let alone visited one regularly.  Like many can ers and or diseases more are found/diagnosed because we go to Dr. more often for annual physicals etc., better diagnostics etc.  

Probably true for many: From the time I was 6 or 7, until I was working landscaping precollege, I spent the summer in shorts, no shirt, and Keds or work boots. Coppertone sold tanning oil and not sun block. You all remember the white buns ad.

I have had several "removals" and two Mohs procedures. Did not know then what we know now. I m on an every 6 months schedule with the dermatologist.

9 hours ago, rps said:

Probably true for many: From the time I was 6 or 7, until I was working landscaping precollege, I spent the summer in shorts, no shirt, and Keds or work boots. Coppertone sold tanning oil and not sun block. You all remember the white buns ad.

I have had several "removals" and two Mohs procedures. Did not know then what we know now. I m on an every 6 months schedule with the dermatologist.

Yet the old farmers and bricklayers that I grew up around had skin as tough as an alligator, and lived their entire lives baking in the sun with a Pall Mall hanging out of their mouth.   Not a single one ever whined about "skin cancer", and they lived well into their 80's and beyond......unless they passed out drunk on a train track or something similar.  😅

And probably all.of them hD some sort of skin cancers and never knew or worried about them. My gather was a welder and later we were always outside either fishing or putting up hay.  Wasn't until late is his life that mom, an RN, made him go to a dermatologist whereupon they froze off several spots.  Squamous and basal cell won't kill you, but they can be a precursor for things like melanoma and that can kill you.  Smoki.g yeah never quite u derstood why some folks smoked for 50 plus years never notice anythi g or if they do its in the form.of COPD and not lung cancer.  Dad had bad  COPD, he s.omed for probably 30 years and the fumes from welding he was down to 10 percent lung capacity and pneumonia finally got him.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:47 AM, fishinwrench said:

What blows my mind is that I never knew, or even heard of anyone with a dangerous form of skin cancer until I was in my mid-40's

Some people have associated the rise in chronic disease to the introduction and recommendation to eat low fat diets, more sugar and replace saturated fats with non saturated fats specifically seed oils.  All took off in the 80’s.   Overlay a chart of the increase in chronic disease with the increase in that diet and it’s pretty telling.  

2 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Some people have associated the rise in chronic disease to the introduction and recommendation to eat low fat diets, more sugar and replace saturated fats with non saturated fats specifically seed oils.  All took off in the 80’s.   Overlay a chart of the increase in chronic disease with those introductions and it’s pretty telling.  

What has been created here is a population of humans that are just PRIMED for diseases.     Germs, bacteria, and things that eat you from the inside-out have NEVER BEEN FED SO WELL !  

The carburetor cleaner, whiskey, and cigarette smoke may not be the greatest thing for me to be around.....but it ain't the best thing for those invaders either !    

All of my classmates that were staunch health conscious nuts.....are almost all gone now 😢  And the ones I expected to die before they were 40.....still kickin'.     So what's that tell ya?

Anecdotal memories and stories are powerful stuff. They are not to be confused with science and statistics.

I truly wish I could have kept smoking. I liked it. However, science convinced me to stop for the sake of my wife and children.

Many were sure the covid vaccine was not needed, that the disease did not exist, or that the vaccine was more risky than the disease. Review the statistics. Those without vaccine died more frequently than those vaccinated. Facts are cold blooded things, harsh and unyielding, no matter the good stories to the contrary.

2 hours ago, rps said:

Those without vaccine died more frequently than those vaccinated.

Do you have a link to a chart or study that starts tracking only after the vaccine was widely available? Didn't deaths taper off before the vaccine was produced?