Biggest Bass Caught On Table Rock?

Sprint21fter

Dave I think you are right as far as the electro fishing is concerned. The spawn for the most part in the dam area due to the clarity of the water is often times deeper than up the river systems.

My three biggest fish have came 1st. in Big Creek I had a lady catch a 9.3 certified on a Redfin. Baxter area on a floater 9.5 and last year out of the Big Indian at the dam another one between 9 and 10 pounds. Bought the same day Mike had his big fish.

Where abouts is Bear's Den located? Is it way up the James? I am not extremely familiar with the James, only been to Cape Fair 3 times in my life. Tried to find it on a map, but failed.

Just down the James from the 76 Bridge, or around the bend past Virgin Bluff if that is easier. Same side of the river as Peach Orchard.

Bill...just seems like that is the area the big fish come from, at least if the reports are honest. Baxter, mouth of the James, and Dam area might be the sweet spots. Have not caught any fish like the 9 pounders, but since shifting focus from the backs of the rivers (why try to make a clear lake fish like Truman) I catch a better overall quality of fish. Might only show up as 17" keepers vs. 15" keepers, but think it indicates something larger at work.

If I had to go out and get one big bite, I would be on a bluff end or channel swing around the confluence of the Indians and White, James and White, or Long Creek and White, trying to find one suspended in wood over way deep water.

But...you can have them. I'll find some flat gravel and bother the brown ones.

the table rock record is 12 lb. 3 oz. caught in the eagle rock area way back in 1963. there used to be a picture at the eagle rock boat dock for many years. i can not remember the name of the man that caught it. he had another bass that he caught right after the big one that was close to 10. as far as i know that is the biggest documented bass caught on table rock. believe me, back in the day, there were plenty of bass in table rock that would exceed 12 lb. i have seen a picture of two bass that were gigged out of the back of roaring river in the mid 60's. they photoed laying on a bathroom scale. one was 19 lb. and the other was 17 lb. they got eaten. i have held several dd bass in my hand, and the bass in that picture were definitely that big. i believe that the james river arm will probably hold the biggest bass in table rock at this time. it just has the most fertile water and the most food. of course, it also gets an enormous amount of fishing pressure. we are starting to see a few more 8 to 9 pound bass show up, but without some stocking programs, i just find it hard to believe that we will ever see table rock as it was before the fish kill.

bo

• 4 years later...
  • Members
On 1/16/2014 at 1:20 AM, merc1997 said:

the table rock record is 12 lb. 3 oz. caught in the eagle rock area way back in 1963. there used to be a picture at the eagle rock boat dock for many years. i can not remember the name of the man that caught it. he had another bass that he caught right after the big one that was close to 10. as far as i know that is the biggest documented bass caught on table rock. believe me, back in the day, there were plenty of bass in table rock that would exceed 12 lb. i have seen a picture of two bass that were gigged out of the back of roaring river in the mid 60's. they photoed laying on a bathroom scale. one was 19 lb. and the other was 17 lb. they got eaten. i have held several dd bass in my hand, and the bass in that picture were definitely that big. i believe that the james river arm will probably hold the biggest bass in table rock at this time. it just has the most fertile water and the most food. of course, it also gets an enormous amount of fishing pressure. we are starting to see a few more 8 to 9 pound bass show up, but without some stocking programs, i just find it hard to believe that we will ever see table rock as it was before the fish kill.

bo

I saw an 11-3 that was caught in the peach orchard area of the James. It was taken in to town and weighed on reliable scales and released. That was after the fish kill and was about 2007 I want to say.

On 1/16/2014 at 1:20 AM, merc1997 said:

bo

The eagle rock area was always a big fish spot, cooler water and trout to munch on, I know of several 9s and at least one 10 from that side of the lake

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

On 1/14/2014 at 5:55 PM, Bill Babler said:

I think you may have heard wrong. I just check with one of my biologist friends and they have never shocked a fish over 8 pounds in his knowledge. I have never heard of a 12 pounder on Table Rock.

It is very hard to substantiate as most weights are unofficial as most often the fish must die. I will tell you that the biggest fish are always electro fished up the James River with Bear's Den 9 out of 10 times having the biggest fish of the year.

Stay out of Bear Den. The bears will get you!!😎

9 hours ago, abkeenan said:

Better there than to try to fish Beardsley. Loaded with a bunch of bearded naked hillbillies roaming the banks.

Likely snake hunters........

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.