Rod Building Hobby

2 hours ago, Bushbeater said:

I just built a Rod on one of those blanks. I like it. I'm now trying my first quality build on a Rain Shadow blank with some better components. It's an addicting hobby once you get into it. I need more rods like a hole in the head, but I just can't help myself.

If you haven't already ordered,  the Rainforest 2 blanks are noticably better unless you want a slower more parabolic rod.  

Bought a couple Winston "WT" blanks several years ago at a really good price. Buddy building the rod and I were spining the rod and struggling using the methods mentioned above. He finally called the boys at Winston and they said just line the blank up as straight as you can and mark them.  

I'm working with the Rainforest Revolution blank, supposed to be the new improved. I don't know how you really can know the finished action of a home built rod till it's built and tested. It's not like pulling one off the rack. But I'm building for light crankbaits so a slow parabolic action probably won't hurt. I'm kinda slow too so maybe the rod will fit. 

14 hours ago, Bushbeater said:

I don't know how you really can know the finished action of a home built rod till it's built and tested.

That's my biggest complaint about conventional equipment.  You hold it in the store with no reel, line or bait and you're supposed to decide if it's good.  Keeps me from buying.

My current fly rod (Helios) I cast at least a dozen times before I bought it.  Thanks to River run Outfitters putting it on their front porch for people to try.

25 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

My current fly rod (Helios) I cast at least a dozen times before I bought it.  

I did a ton of that on my last fly rod purchase and learned more than just which rod I wanted. I was traveling a lot at the time so when I was bored at night I would find a shop and go cast some rods. It helped me narrow it down to a couple of different ones before the purchase. But it also made me realize that I'm not a very good fly caster, not that I didn't already know that. But I'm not any worse than a lot of guys that work in fly shops. I realized that fast action rods are not the best option for everyone. No matter what they tell you in the shop or in advertising. And I also realized that expensive does not mean best. It was a good learning experience and I walked away with a rod that I love. But I also have a good idea on a few other rods that were also tested. 

When I've built rods, I've often bought a blank that is supposed to have the action I want (fast, extra-fast, or moderate) and the power I want, but is 6 inches longer than I want.  Then I take a rod that has something close to the action and power that I want, and model from it.  I have nailed two big nails into the inside wall of the basement garage, so that I can put the rod I'm modeling from on the wall horizontally, with one nail resting atop the back of the handle, the other somewhere on the bottom of the foregrip, with the rest of the rod sticking out horizontally and free.  I hang a weight from the tip guide so that the rod bends as much as it would with a nice fish on it, and mark on the wall at each guide.  Then I put the blank on the wall the same way, put the weight on the end of it (usually have to tape the line to the bare end of the blank), and compare its bend to the bend of the rod I'm modeling from.  Keep in mind that tying the guides on stiffens the bend a bit, so if the blank has slightly more bend that's okay, but what I'm looking for is a bend that is the right amount of action, not significantly faster or more moderate than my modeled rod.  I'll adjust the weight on the end up to 6 inches back, and/or move the handle end up to 6 inches back on the nails, in order to see where I can cut off the longer rod to give it the length, power, and action I'm looking for.  I often buy spinning rod blanks to make a casting rod, because the spinning rod blanks are available in more varieties of action and power.

What Al is talking about is a deflection test. Tom Hargrove uses that allot to match a blank to a customers desired action. Not opposed to cutting off a bit on the long or short end to get what I want. North Fork Composites Shooter Blanks is the only source for short casting rod blanks at the moment. Like my 5' 6" allot. Fits my height off the water in a low draught boat. Like a 6' 6"+ if on a higher decked boat.

I'm making head way as i have 4 eyes left to put on and then epoxy, i watched several videos and even tried watching the rod building video that came with kit but the volume is so low on CD i can't hear anything and all's i see is 2 guy's flapping the gums as they are doing stuff. Biggest issue i have had so far is getting the thread started short fat fingers and thread don't get along....lol

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips