More flooding at Montauk

bkbying89

Wow, guess they got rain yesterday.  Gauge went to 9' but only shows little precip.

More sand for the camp sites.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

I was actually there for the flood over the weekend. We were staying in one of the park cabins across from the hatchery office and woken up around midnight Saturday night by a park worker letting us that the river was flooding. They didn't make us evacuate since we were well out of the flood danger but they let us know we wouldn't be able to leave any time soon. He said they were only able to give a short notice to those in the campground so many had to abandon their belongings and head for higher ground.

Inside the park it rained less that 1/3 of an inch on Saturday night so we were confused and thought we were dreaming at first when they let us know the news. The worker told us that while we didn't have much rain inside the park the area just north (mile or two) had 7-8 inches of rain in less than 2 hours....which caused Pigeon Creek to blow out and carry the floodwater downstream into the park. I have been down in the park for many floods and the rise in the water level on this one was the fastest I have ever seen.  I believe it came up 7 ft within an hour.

Fished the morning on Sunday (and straightened out a hook on 9lb+ which would have won the derby) in the spring branch. Fishing was great but fishing pressure was confined to the spring branch (bait area) only as the fly stream was still high and muddy.

Cant wait to see the changes in the stream. Lots of debris piled up on the 119 bridge and tangled in the playground and shelter areas as well. I did not get to see the campground but assume it was a big mess as well. Hopefully there are some are some positive changes to the stream, but seems like the changes over the last 20 years have been negative ones. The stream seems to get shallower with each flood.  

-Jason

Rose Holland.  Forgot that fiasco going on.

I always get nervous around any Ozark stream when it rains and I am camping.

I drove thru a pouring storm one night to Spring River in Ark pulling a camper years ago.  Changed a flat in ankle deep water on a street in Doniphan.  Drove around a blowout on the Narrows and used the higher bridge at Riverton.  Arrived at Spring River and set up camp and woke up on the hour to check the river level.  Woke up the next morning and the river was off color, but fishable.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

10 hours ago, sfeyst said:

Excellent fishing report, the forum always welcomes the contributions of new members. 

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

On 10/9/2018 at 3:57 PM, 10pointer said:

I was actually there for the flood over the weekend. We were staying in one of the park cabins across from the hatchery office and woken up around midnight Saturday night by a park worker letting us that the river was flooding. They didn't make us evacuate since we were well out of the flood danger but they let us know we wouldn't be able to leave any time soon. He said they were only able to give a short notice to those in the campground so many had to abandon their belongings and head for higher ground.

Inside the park it rained less that 1/3 of an inch on Saturday night so we were confused and thought we were dreaming at first when they let us know the news. The worker told us that while we didn't have much rain inside the park the area just north (mile or two) had 7-8 inches of rain in less than 2 hours....which caused Pigeon Creek to blow out and carry the floodwater downstream into the park. I have been down in the park for many floods and the rise in the water level on this one was the fastest I have ever seen.  I believe it came up 7 ft within an hour.

Fished the morning on Sunday (and straightened out a hook on 9lb+ which would have won the derby) in the spring branch. Fishing was great but fishing pressure was confined to the spring branch (bait area) only as the fly stream was still high and muddy.

Cant wait to see the changes in the stream. Lots of debris piled up on the 119 bridge and tangled in the playground and shelter areas as well. I did not get to see the campground but assume it was a big mess as well. Hopefully there are some are some positive changes to the stream, but seems like the changes over the last 20 years have been negative ones. The stream seems to get shallower with each flood.  

-Jason

Friends reported that some shallow areas are holes now and trees are down or gone in the fly fishing only area. Water was dingy and fishing was slow in that area. rocks apparently were rolled around as well. Sounds like another learning experience ahead.

Bill