Has the earth turned on its axis?

Gavin

30 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Same. I've been to several Carolina Hurricanes games for work and even though I have no idea what is going on most of the time I'm totally impressed with how much work it actually is. Those guys are up and down that ice the whole game. TV just doesn't do it justice. 

We sat right behind the dugout* and it impressed the heck out of me how they blew in and out, constantly switching the lineup*. So, fast paced!

*ness don't know the lingo :D 

John

The greatest thing about hockey is that it is the only sport where play speeds up as the clock winds down. This statement is especially true in playoff hockey. Overtime for Game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals is chaos in the making :D! Only thing that can better is the play by play announcers trying to keep up with the action.

22 minutes ago, ness said:

We sat right behind the dugout*

That's the bench.

This is Kathy's ex-step-nephew-in-law. https://www.nhl.com/player/casey-mittelstadt-8479999 So, yeah, we're pretty plugged in to the hockey scene. :D Actually do know his grandmother and she's a wonderful woman. 

I think I will make an effort to watch some of this.

Now, I'll turn this thread back over to actual fans :D

John

This is the first year in a long time where followed hockey to some degree.  Maybe saw 10 regular season Bruins games, and have watched all the Bruins playoff games.  

When we lived in Boston, way back a long time ago, the Bruins had the Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito team that won a Stanley Cup, and that's the last time I watched a lot of hockey.  Bruins were on channel 38, one of those UHF channels that we didn't get the greatest of reception as we had an antenna in those days.  Could hardly see the puck.  Only good thing about those days was it was the start of the helmet era, but they phased the wearing of helmets in, the guys that were in the league at the time the rule was passed didn't have to wear a helmet, and they didn't.  It was good for the fans because it was easy to recognize players, nowadays you've got to know the players numbers.  

But the game is so much more watchable with HD and a big screen LCD then it was back then.  

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

They're better than most New Yorkers!!

It’s about a push in my experience. They’re both barely tolerable. 

John

2 hours ago, Quillback said:

Only good thing about those days was it was the start of the helmet era, but they phased the wearing of helmets in, the guys that were in the league at the time the rule was passed didn't have to wear a helmet, and they didn't.  It was good for the fans because it was easy to recognize players, nowadays you've got to know the players numbers

I was in Connecticut when they put in the helmet rule watching a lot of Whalers hockey when I could not get the Pens games. I remember Ron Duguay from the Rangers refusing to wear a helmet since he wanted the wind going through his hair. He was grandfathered in to not have to wear a helmet.

2 hours ago, Quillback said:

But the game is so much more watchable with HD and a big screen LCD then it was back then

I agree with you there QB. Sporting events are so much better now on TV than back in the day.

It's an amazing time for the city of St Louis and it's hockey club.  From being in dead last place on January 3rd to bringing up a rookie goalie that has stood on his head for this team to set a record number of consecutive games won, to a team that has come together as a whole to dominate three hard fought playoff series, it's a heck of a story.  May the hockey gods praise them and allow them to win Lord Stanley's Cup for the first time ever!

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

1 hour ago, moguy1973 said:

It's an amazing time for the city of St Louis and it's hockey club.  From being in dead last place on January 3rd to bringing up a rookie goalie that has stood on his head for this team to set a record number of consecutive games won, to a team that has come together as a whole to dominate three hard fought playoff series, it's a heck of a story.  May the hockey gods praise them and allow them to win Lord Stanley's Cup for the first time ever!

Fired the coach mid season 

@Quillback I keep seeeing "The Goal" photo of Bobby Orr the lastime the Bruins played and beat the Blues in the cup finals.

To get over that I had to watch highlights of the 85 basketball finals😜