Would This Be Appropriate?

oneshot

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Railroads are a public right of way. Why would you want the land given back to people who have been dead for ages ?

I don’t think so.  It’s private property.  I’ve been run off of plenty of them.  Either rabbit hunting or trout fishing.  Back East it is definitely private property and we pay to use their Spurs.  Try shipping via rail into NYC, New Jersey Connecticut Massachusetts....  You are going to pay each family who owns a small section of rail.  A lot!!!!

6 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I don’t think so.  It’s private property.  I’ve been run off of plenty of them.  Either rabbit hunting or trout fishing.  Back East it is definitely private property and we pay to use their Spurs.  Try shipping via rail into NYC, New Jersey Connecticut Massachusetts....  You are going to pay each family who owns a small section of rail.  A lot!!!!

Really?   Hell I grew up hunting, fishing, hiking, and riding dirt bikes along railroads.  It was always assumed free reign.  Never once had a problem.  

In Georgia the power lines were open land, anybody could do anything they wanted along the power lines. The law wouldn't even mess with you.  You could run them for a hundred miles totally unbothered.  Railways were the same way when I was younger....or so we thought.     The world sucks now. 😕

When we were kids we jumped on a train slowing down through Mexico, and hopped off when it slowed down through Centralia.  Goofed off in Centralia all day then hopped another train back that night.    That was a blast! 

Hanging on the side of a railcar when it crosses a creek trestle is a major headrush.    

36 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Correct 100 percent. Actually it is a felony if they want to push trespassing. In our concealed carry class we learned it. Cant have a felony and carry. One of the multiple examples we were given.  It does depend on what state you are in.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

15 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

Correct 100 percent. Actually it is a felony if they want to push trespassing. In our concealed carry class we learned it. Cant have a felony and carry. One of the multiple examples we were given.  It does depend on what state you are in.

Seriously?!!!!    Crap, who knew!  

When did that law go into effect?   

I just watched a video recently where Brian Wise, Steve Dally, and another dude we're hiking down the railway in Arkansas.  It was cool footage as always.    Bunch'a freakin' FELONS ! 😎 

How can it depend on what state you're in?   That makes no sense to me at all.

Oneshot is right about RR right of way supposed to revert to original landowner when no longer used as RR.  There were big time lawsuits back in the early days of rails to trails.  The government won if you can imagine that.

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Railroads are a public right of way. Why would you want the land given back to people who have been dead for ages ?

Actually they were not because you get caught walking on RR Right of Way you could get a Ticket for Trespassing. Did it all the time along the Missouri and never got a Ticket but this was my understanding.

oneshot 

23 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Seriously?!!!!    Crap, who knew!  

When did that law go into effect?   

I just watched a video recently where Brian Wise, Steve Dally, and another dude we're hiking down the railway in Arkansas.  It was cool footage as always.    Bunch'a freakin' FELONS ! 😎 

How can it depend on what state you're in?   That makes no sense to me at all.

I did some nosing around after posting what we were told. Seems like states are different in the laws. Some say various degrees of misdemeanors but all say felony if trespass causes injury or death.   

I like you used to hunt rabbits all the time along the railroad. We had some strip pits  along tracks. Steep high sides. We would shoot the bunnies as they ran up the hill. They would roll back down under the fence right at our feet.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Well if it is indeed private property then whoever owns the property would have to report you as a trespasser.   Since it's highly unlikely that anyone from the railroad is going to call the sheriff on you....then the sheriff has no jurisdiction there either.   So theoretically you are safe.   

The power lines in Georgia were private property too, I suppose, which is probably why the law couldn't charge in on party's there.  Nobody from Georgia Power was complaining.....so I suppose we were exempt from any legal action while on the property.  

@snagged in outlet 3, who was it that ran you off from being along the tracks?   If it was anyone besides the owner of the freakin' railroad you could have told them to go kick rocks. 

The Feds donated any federal land required to construct railroads as needed to promote settlement & growth in the mid 1800s.  The remains of those lines reverted to public domain upon abandonment. Anywhere those lines crossed property that was privately owned at the time may have been purchased and subject to title, or subject to sale or deferment on abandonment. Lots of lawyers retired on the proceeds of railroad land disputes.

I can't dance like I used to.