Kayak must haves

MNtransplant

I lucked into a kayak a few weeks back and would like to get it setup very basic for fishing the James this fall. Its a little 10 foot Ascend sit in style that has nothing on it except front and rear drag handles and some cargo strings across the back end..

I plan on getting it setup with the following, anything else you guys would recommend?

1. Milk crate with 3 rod holders

2. Stand assist/drag rope

3. Anchor (might add a simple trolley)

Excited to access so much new water!

4 minutes ago, MNtransplant said:

I lucked into a kayak a few weeks back and would like to get it setup very basic for fishing the James this fall. Its a little 10 foot Ascend sit in style that has nothing on it except front and rear drag handles and some cargo strings across the back end..

I plan on getting it setup with the following, anything else you guys would recommend?

1. Milk crate with 3 rod holders

2. Stand assist/drag rope

3. Anchor (might add a simple trolley)

Excited to access so much new water!

A good drag rope is a necessity. I use one in the front and back. 

I don’t have a crate but do have a couple holders in the back so the rods stick up in the air. It works but can be dangerous if you have some overhanging trees that want to grab them. Haven’t broke one yet but I’ve had to go back and retrieve them a couple of times. I also get excited sometimes like Tommy Boy and hit one with a back cast. Actually floating with me is probably exactly like floating with Tommy Boy. 

• Members

Here is my Kayak. FS128T Ascend

373V1.jpg[/img]

I made this Kayak Crate from 3 Milk crates. I also added a Fish Finder.

http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2013/04/the-ultimate-diy-kayak-crate-part-1.html

I also suggest getting one of these. I use this way more then my Anchor.

https://hookeze.com/products/brush-gripper-securely-anchor-kayak-canoe-or-boat

A good paddle,  Vest, Bungies for Rods and Tools is a must. 

Also I for sure would make or buy a Kayak Cart. Too many times I have pulled up to the river or lake and no where to park any where close. It's a life saver for sure.

A good comfortable sitbacker is to me the #1 requirement. 

I use a piece of chain covered with a length of bicycle innertube for kayak anchor. 

Trolley and simple rope lock are very helpful.  I just run the anchor rope through some eyes I added to the boat.

Don't forget to leash your paddle to the boat.

Good luck and have fun.

Got the anchor trolley installed and the rear drag rope with pvc handle. Rod holders are showing up this week and now I just need an anchor and I'll be ready! Thanks for the input guys.

20200826_164937.jpg

Small softsided cooler to run up front under the front deck to hold cold liquids and lunch would be handy.  Looks like a winner.

Use grass beds and eddies instead of anchors where possible.  Pull up to a rock and drop a foot over to hold yourself in place.  There are no anchors in my river boats.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

My river rods are usually cheap and expendable.  Never more than $60 bucks goes in the drink or snaps off on a limb.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson