Jig and craw

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Do any of you fish it much?

Is your question regarding the specific combination or jig with trailer in general 

if the water is colder (59 and less) that specific combination is on one of my rods. Above 60, I’ll use other trailers too. If the sun is shining, I’m on it. 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Do any of you fish it much?

I fish it more than any other lure.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I like using the ZMAN Punch Crawz on jigs up to 1/2oz. Like all ZMAN products, they pretty well last forever or at least until you break the lure off. The trailers with the flapping claws such as a Paca Chunk are good when the water is hot, but they don't hold up very well.

Yeah, I fish it sometimes.  But my thoughts are that, like most jig type lures, it doesn't really match the profile of any particular bass food.  I was kinda surprised with people started using the HD Craw as a jig trailer, because my opinion is that it negates a lot of what made the HD Craw a unique lure...it changed it from an uber-realistic craw imitation to a fuzzy butted something or another with craw pinchers added.  Which, of course, is what all jig and craw lures are.  That being the case, I really don't think it makes much difference if you're using a jig and craw or a jig and chunk, both are very impressionistic imitations of some bottom crawling critter or another, and the bass eat them not because they think they are a crawdad, but because they look like something edible and catchable.

16 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

Yeah, I fish it sometimes.  But my thoughts are that, like most jig type lures, it doesn't really match the profile of any particular bass food.  I was kinda surprised with people started using the HD Craw as a jig trailer, because my opinion is that it negates a lot of what made the HD Craw a unique lure...it changed it from an uber-realistic craw imitation to a fuzzy butted something or another with craw pinchers added.  Which, of course, is what all jig and craw lures are.  That being the case, I really don't think it makes much difference if you're using a jig and craw or a jig and chunk, both are very impressionistic imitations of some bottom crawling critter or another, and the bass eat them not because they think they are a crawdad, but because they look like something edible and catchable.

I agree with you totally.

Some verbiage I received was that the skirt adds secondary movement.  I’ve always fished it stand alone after it was perfected. At the beginning I actually designed it as a hair jig trailer for winter fishing...based on our time with Nick.  The other factor is some people just can’t seem to give up the traditional jig skirt. It’s just a hard to break habit I guess. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor