Petition for single point hooks in trophy section

1 hour ago, netboy said:

That is true, but it is great to have a C&R area where people can fish for some bigger trout. There are plenty of places on Taney and the White river to fish and catch and keep a limit of trout. The C&R areas on the White river generate lots of income for the local economy.

Not many places outside of the dam area to wade on Taney when the water is off.  None really.  But I’m selfish.  Make it all cnr and a hog pen. They are not very good eating anyway.  Most end up freezer burned I bet.  

• Root Admin
8 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Not many places outside of the dam area to wade on Taney when the water is off.  None really.  But I’m selfish.  Make it all cnr and a hog pen. They are not very good eating anyway.  Most end up freezer burned I bet.  

Oh but there is a lot of areas to wade.  Across and down from Fall Creek there's quite a bit.  Public land access, acquired by FEMA/Taney County.  Great water.  Then you can boat up and fish almost any shallow side bank from Fall Creek to the dam.  Again, real good areas that aren't crowded at all.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

I'm with Netboy.  If we're going to split hairs, upper Taney is an impressive fishery, but the elephant in the room is . . . . . it would be a stretch to rate it a better fishery than the upper White or Norfork tailwaters.  Whether the long term impact of the ARK regulations are a factor, or whether the habitat is simply better, or a combination of the two, I don't know.   I think upper Taney could only IMPROVE if they were to follow the Arkansas regulations.  It won't do worse, thats for sure.  

Fishing in the outlets would be a good place to start for correcting things but I’ll shut up for now.

9 hours ago, Phil Lilley said:

Oh but there is a lot of areas to wade.  Across and down from Fall Creek there's quite a bit.  Public land access, acquired by FEMA/Taney County.  Great water.  Then you can boat up and fish almost any shallow side bank from Fall Creek to the dam.  Again, real good areas that aren't crowded at all.

Very true but I was talking without a boat.  There’s not “a lot” of wading opportunities below Fall Creek. Not nearly what there is at the dam. 

15 hours ago, laker67 said:

From no trebles to no outlet fishing. That is fine and dandy if the water is off. But why handicap the handicap ? We keep having this same discussion on outlets.  Don't take away my, and several others only option.  More than likely this will be my last season. 

I made the post about outlet restrictions as a joke since it seems that the purists that started it only know how to fish there. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

But most of the bait guys don't want to get wet. I have only ventured over there once and there seemed to be lots of great public access docks to fish from (the Branson landing and Cooper creek where we launched). Most folks on those docks had some trout in their buckets. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, Phil Lilley said:

This sounds interesting how do you access these places.  I'm not familiar with anywhere besides the outlets to wade and fish.

• Members
On 8/2/2021 at 6:24 PM, netboy said:

Seems to me they should make that entire "Trophy Area" a total C&R area like the Bull Shoals Dam and Rim Shoals C&R areas here on the White. Easier to enforce (no 5 gal buckets, coolers or stringers allowed...period) and then you would see some real hogs up there. 

Here are the regs for our C&R areas...

BULL SHOALS CATCH-AND-RELEASE AREAS: In the following areas, trout must be released immediately. Only artificial lures or flies may be used (natural or scented baits are not allowed). All hooking points must be barbless. Chumming is not allowed. Catching bait with bait tackle is not allowed.

You are spot on. Rim in particular gets a lot of illegal fishing. I’m completely uninterested in catching 10” stockers. If I can’t target quality fish I’m out. It’s one reason that when I’m trout fishing, I usually go to Norfork. It has more C&R water and better fish. I don’t understand the appeal of keeping a bunch of trout that aren’t good to eat. 

I’ve not fished Taney, but it looks like a lot of good fish have come out of there, but I’m sure it could be made better. I wish they would ban chumming down here in AR.