Deer hanger

Dutch

We’ve tried lots of ways to hang and dress deer.  Last fall I watched my grandson and his wife dress a couple of bucks.  It was an ordeal with the tow cable of my Kawasaki mule over a tree limb hooked to the deer.  I’m planning to buy him something for his birthday and this has caught my eye.  I can be attached to the mule or a pickup truck.  It is supposed to be rated at 400#.  Have any of you used anything like this?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hme-hitch-hoist-with-swivel-and-gambrel

I used to hang deer with a big tree limb, rope and my jeep.  All right in the backyard where the garden hose is handy.  But that tree died and we had it taken out last fall.  I haven't used anything like your link shows, but I might be in the market for one now.  For sure need to get something figured out and I insist that it be someplace with water.

We have Bland Spring running through the farm and can access it in many places if he wants water but I don’t know if that is a concern.  It never was for me when I hunted.  I’m thinking about them being able to get out of the wind or out of the weather in a shed if necessary.

They work nicely. I've used one two times when I was alone and had to get a deer in the bed of my truck and quarter it up.

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

Here is what I use @Dutch. Home made. From a set of rope blocks, chain and da bolt.  I have a friend who made one like you are looking at. I'm not into lifting into a trailer or onto ATV anymore. When deer is down and field dressed I set my decoy sled on it's side. Roll deer into it and tip sled back to pulling position. Hook rope on ATV Ball and pull deer home and under rope blocks. Pull up and snatch off. Easy peasy. No stress using pulleys.IMG_20220220_131554243.jpg

IMG_20220220_131601582.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

43 minutes ago, Dutch said:

We have Bland Spring running through the farm and can access it in many places if he wants water but I don’t know if that is a concern.  It never was for me when I hunted.  I’m thinking about them being able to get out of the wind or out of the weather in a shed if necessary.

When I've finished the field dressing I prefer to hose out the cavity thoroughly.  After that mine go to a processor.

1 hour ago, Deadstream said:

Should work if you can get it to the hoist vehicle. Thats getting to be my problem.

That's not a problem.  We have a roll up deer sled that I bought a long time ago.  Tie a deer to it and 2 people can pull it over nearly anything.

Used a similar system to the receiver hitch years ago.  It had a lot of give and movement to it.  Never broke but seemed to move more than I liked.  I cheat I hang them from the bucket of the tractor and drive them to the hose area or if dark/raining/snowing I just drive it out to the tractor barn to get out of the wind.  I also still have somewhere I think a half ton chain hoist that worked well too in the barn.