spinning rod

Smithvillesteve

Buddy of mine was fishing with my St Croix Mo Jo bass rod the other day. It broke about a foot down from the tip. He was hung up but wasnt doing anything unusual to make it break in my opinion. That is the second one of those that has broke in the exact same spot. The good news is that St Croix has a pretty good warranty system. Send them a pic of the break and they ship me a new rod. I think it is 25 dollars. I'm thinking about going to a new setup. I would like to stay in the 150-200 dollar range. I'm looking at:

1) Staying with the St Croix but upgrading to the Avid series. I've heard good things about the Avids

2) The Falcon Bucoo series. I know Bill and some of you other boys like the Falcons

Any advice from you boys would be appreciated. 

I'm very familiar with St.C rod blanks, and I can tell ya that the Mojo series blanks are a step below the Premier series.  Actually the Triumph blanks are better quality than the Mojo.   

The Avid's of TODAY are not the Avid's of years past, and IMO are no better than today's Triumph blanks.      

So, in truth it comes down to what you TRULY want.......Be it a quality blank.....or a handle/reel-seat that looks "cool" to you.    

3 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I'm very familiar with St.C rod blanks, and I can tell ya that the Mojo series blanks are a step below the Premier series.  Actually the Triumph blanks are better quality than the Mojo.   

The Avid's of TODAY are not the Avid's of years past, and IMO are no better than today's Triumph blanks.      

So, in truth it comes down to what you TRULY want.......Be it a quality blank.....or a handle/reel-seat that looks "cool" to you.    

I'm a fan of St. Croix Premier rods.

i

2 hours ago, Terrierman said:

I'm a fan of St. Croix Premier rods.

Nobody needs anything better than that for Bass/Crappie/Walleye fishing.   

Lightweight enough, sensitive enough, and durable enough.   

If anyone has one (6'6"-7' spinning or casting) that they don't like...... I'll gladly pay a fair price and take it off their hands.  👍

8 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Nobody needs anything better than that for Bass/Crappie/Walleye fishing.   

Lightweight enough, sensitive enough, and durable enough.   

If anyone has one (6'6"-7' spinning or casting) that they don't like...... I'll gladly pay a fair price and take it off their hands.  👍

I'll add jig fishing for trout.

I would strongly consider the Denali Lithium Pro series. They retail for $219 and are lightweight with excellent sensitivity and plenty of power (the 7-0 MH Shaky Head model is an excellent and versatile stick for Ozarks lakes). You can check them out at denalirods.com

ClassActionTransparent.png

I hate to add another one to the mix, these rod discussions always have all kinds of different recommendations, but I really like ALX rods. You can call them, tell them what you're looking to do with it and they'll give you some choices.