Dustin Connell

Bill Babler

MLF had his Active Target on a split screen for about 4 minutes today. 

Really interesting, regarding picture and target identification. 

He had his gain set pretty much like Justin McCelland. And believe you me, Justin is a Wizard with Garmin Live Scope.  I’m going to say every bit as good as any of the touring pro’s and probably better than 3/4 of them. 

DC had a ton of grain in his picture as does Justin. The clearer and cleaner the picture the less definition. 

For those wanting a spot free picture on either AT or LS y’all need to rethink.  The best in the world are running that gain  really high. 

Really cool watching that this morning. 

What's the deal with guys wanting to switch to saltwater transducers?     I'm not understanding this at all, and I keep getting calls wanting me to swap them out.  

I'm purposely not keeping up on all of this.....but I'm wondering if I need to, or am supposed to. 🙄  What's the difference?

50 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

What's the deal with guys wanting to switch to saltwater transducers?     I'm not understanding this at all, and I keep getting calls wanting me to swap them out.  

I'm purposely not keeping up on all of this.....but I'm wondering if I need to, or am supposed to. 🙄  What's the difference?

I would assume the power…a typical freshwater ducer used to have a range around 600’, I bet the saltwater units are higher which could potentially be adjusted for better definition.

Mike

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I’ve been watching MLF and the elites today.   I love catching em as much as anyone but dang!   Head down all hunched over.   All day looking at a screen.   I do that now for work.   No doubt it loads the boat but I don’t know if it’s for me.  

Here's what I notice:    Guys install FFS and then spend every bit of 3-5 months fussing over settings and transducer angles.  Then when they finally get it all "dialed in" and begin to really figure things out.... something new and improved comes out and the process repeats itself. 

Overnight success with FFS does not happen unless you are a genuine gamer. And the payoff after you've spent the time to get it all figured out is being HEAD DOWN & ALL HUNCHED OVER,  piddling around out in the middle of flats chasing fish that, for the most part, are less than 3 pounds.

I'm fascinated by it, and I've learned some cool stuff just by watching some fish, but I'm in no mood to spend the time necessary to truly get good at it.   And then there's the cost....

2 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I’ve been watching MLF and the elites today.   I love catching em as much as anyone but dang!   Head down all hunched over.   All day looking at a screen.   I do that now for work.   No doubt it loads the boat but I don’t know if it’s for me.  

Yeah Fujita with 31 lbs.  Huge screens up front.  Spinning rod in hand.  Not for me either, but no doubt it is effective.  

Watched Hackney and Christie fish old school, flipping trees and fishing the bank.  They are being left in the dust.  But as a fun fisherman, I'd rather fish the way they are.

Wrench the Garmin 62 transducer is all the buzz 200’ range, way more power and a bit bigger angle. 

They are seeing these fish a lot of times 200 ft. away and running them down.  

Last week in the PBFL here isolated singles on or away from structure were the targets.  Multiple targets were avoided, as these guys were saying they were grouped up Kentucky’s. 

Singles in open water or on structure were LM, Brown fish or perhaps a magnum K.  

The further away you could see them the better.  Thats why the salt water transducers  

One of the guys in the top 10 said on every fish counts over 2 pounds he would have had 70 plus pounds. Every bite on a Dimiki rig. 

They’re scoping them on Santee Cooper too. 

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

I'm fascinated by it, and I've learned some cool stuff just by watching some fish, but I'm in no mood to spend the time necessary to truly get good at it.   And then there's the cost....

Yeah pretty cool stuff on YouTube.   

5 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Wrench the Garmin 62 transducer is all the buzz 200’ range, way more power and a bit bigger angle. 

They are seeing these fish a lot of times 200 ft. away and running them down.  

Last week in the PBFL here isolated singles on or away from structure were the targets.  Multiple targets were avoided, as these guys were saying they were grouped up Kentucky’s. 

Singles in open water or on structure were LM, Brown fish or perhaps a magnum K.  

The further away you could see them the better.  Thats why the salt water transducers  

One of the guys in the top 10 said on every fish counts over 2 pounds he would have had 70 plus pounds. Every bite on a Dimiki rig. 

They’re scoping them on Santee Cooper too. 

Thanks for the explanation, but that seems ridiculous to me.   

Suspended fish 200' away ? 

You'd think they'd be more interested in a transducer with better close range target separation.   Possibly the narrower cone angle results in better target separation.  That would explain it.  👍