6/7-6/9

Came down this weekend to do some fishing.  WT was around 80, clarity was 5+ feet down by the dam, maybe 2-3 feet out down by the twin bridges.  We trolled crankbaits, pulled spinner rigs, and tossed nightcrawlers and plastics.  Trolling and pulling spinner rigs was sporadic at best, we caught a few here and there, but overall it was slow.  The best bite was out on points in less than 20FOW near a steep drop, and on brushpiles throwing small swimbaits, or a chunk of crawler on a 8th oz jig head.  We caught quite a few total fish, but lots of drum and white bass, but enough walleye and crappie to keep a few.  The catfish must be really active right now because we caught quite a few more than usual.  

image000003.thumb.jpg.30168ac76644dc9df3e8c67c28cb0647.jpgimage000002.thumb.jpg.43eea0d7e182a0e01de7eaa3cf1d78f0.jpgimage000001.thumb.jpg.8153cbd059c27dcaf84fafe44a8f23d3.jpgimage000000.thumb.jpg.ef35050cd86c2f867b2d9e592781a341.jpg

Lots of white bass and none in the creel.  Someone needs to learn how to eat them.

Looks like a pretty good weekend.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

47 minutes ago, jdmidwest said:

Lots of white bass and none in the creel.  Someone needs to learn how to eat them.

I'm sure they taste fine, but I generally just keep crappie and walleye when I'm at Stockton.  

1 hour ago, jdmidwest said:

I can’t convince my father in law to cut out the “black line” in any fish…he considers it wasting meat. At some point he will get it I hope. The Chinese believe the bones add flavor too and never fillet a fish

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

9 hours ago, top_dollar said:

I'm sure they taste fine, but I generally just keep crappie and walleye when I'm at Stockton.  

I seldom ever catch a crappie, so I honestly don't remember how they taste.  Last mess I had was probably in early 90's from Wappappello Lake.

White bass are good, had several good bunches from TN this year when they were running.  Nice firm sweet filets, lightly dusted and fried golden brown.  You don't need a thick crust on them to give them flavor.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

I’ve eaten lots of whites.  For me it is take a strip steak from the lateral line up and remove all of the dark meat refrigerate in water overnight and fry.  They aren’t bad cut up in chunks lightly boiled and served with cocktail sauce.

if you cant catch walleye, you have to eat white bass. its real good anyway, you just have to soak it, refrigerate it, trim it down to nothing, cook it on a wood plank, then toss in the trash and get a burger!

just goofing...i dont really care for fish of any sort. 99% of my yearly catch of anything goes back in the drink. 

i was in that boat, and it was a blast. i caught more on a 3" shad bodied swimbait than i did a crawler. including a common carp and 2 channel cats.

43491.jpeg

43487.jpeg

20240610_081113.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum (Never let the bastards grind you down)

14 hours ago, Mitch f said:

I can’t convince my father in law to cut out the “black line” in any fish…he considers it wasting meat. At some point he will get it I hope. The Chinese believe the bones add flavor too and never fillet a fish

Well the bones and red meat do add flavor, but it don't mean it's a good flavor.  I like white bass but usually just have a tenderloin strip from the top with red stuff cut out.  Is great for a fish fry with group of friends.  "Is this Walleye"?  Why yes it is if you want it to be.  I like just about all fish, nearly all of them cn be fixed where they are tasty, so just require more work to do that. 

The kids that grew up raised in Alaska by a friend that has lived there since High School would fight over the dark fatty layer when we filleted salmon.  They would chunk it out and eat it raw.  May be good, never tried it.  Did try Sushi one time, never again.

Hunter S. Thompson