October south dakota trip

curtisce

we got a group of 8 of us for a hunting trip in south dakota for ducks and pheasants. Figured if I was making the trip might as well go fishing with my brother who lives up there. He had just upgraded his boat to a raner reata with  150 Yammy on it so I wouldn't have to dag mine up there.Made it to his house nd spent the night. In the morning we headed out. First lake we visited held big smallmouth but since the state record was caught there some years back they seem tougher to find. we were surprised when we got there that there were 2 other boats on the lake. Doesn't anyone work these days? Of course one was on the favorite rocky point. Lots of weeds this fall compared to spring which mkes it tough. Fished around several places without much luck. Just outside the weeds i hook the first fish, a nice 19" smallie. few minutes lter my brother has a fish on. It pulled out line and went into the weeds. after about 20 minutes of clearing the weeds from the line we see it and it's a nice pike. Finally net it. Beautiful thick 40" pike my brother's best. Couple pics and back into the lake. One more smaller pike there and then nothing. Fished near Eden SD next day again a lake known for SM. Couldn't get them to bite but caught several walleye most over 20" and a few pike. The next days were tough because the wind was blowing 25 and gusting. Had to hide out anywhere we could find some shelter. few pike and smallies but nothing to write about. Headed west that night and joined my friends who drove 14 hours that days. First day was just waterfowl. at first light had some ducks around. One lager group decoyed in and with 8 guns blasting only managed 5 ducks. First shots of the season. after that it was all canada geese. Hunted till about 10:00 and finished with 18 geese. From our base to the spot was about an hour but we headed home relaxed for a few hours then another hour back. Had ducks in the area but they were liking a spot about a mile east. Broke a few off so we did get some shooting. With about 40 minutes lefft and no joy from the big ducks we started  getting  buzzed by goupps of teal. The would come from nowhere blast through the spread go out abit and come in for a second try. We were ready for them the second time. Ended with about 15 teal and a few big ducks. 

With the warm weather and the corn harvest far from complete our fear was we wouldn't be seeing numbers. far from it. big wads of ducks and the pheasnt hunting yielded 8 limits each day in less than 4 hours hunting. we hunted Pheasants in the morning starting after 10 and then ducks staring around 4. next day we reversed it. Our Our day duck hunting we got set up around 4. A near by lake had ducks and geese on it so we waited for them. Specks were the first to arrive but as the guide had warned us they rarely commit. we watched them circle then the ducks arrived. Thousands of pintail filled the sky but only one per hunter so we just watched the show. The sun was dropping but the mallrds did show up and we got plent of shooting and our aims were improving. 

Overall a great trip. Your'e always going to fight the weather in South dakota. Between me and my brother were managed a pocession limit for me to bring back, we threw back alot of 20+ fish. Only one over 20" allowed. ened with around 90 ducks and geese for our group and we all got our 2 day limit of pheasants

Resized_20241015_125520.jpg

IMG_8336.jpeg

IMG_8341.jpeg

IMG_8349.jpeg

IMG_8338.jpeg

IMG_8328.jpeg

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check

Great report Curt! thanks. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Good times.  Seems like every fishing report from SD has a strong wind factor.  How does that affect the ducks?  Glad that you all were successful.   

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)