Another Boat Runs Into a Cliff

MickinMO

How drunk or stupid do you have to be to run into a cliff/bluff? I know being on the water at night can be disorienting, but come on. I can somewhat understand running aground on a shallow point or flat if you don't know a lake well, but running straight into shore? The only thing I can think is that if they don't see dock lights they assume it's the channel.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/three-injured-after-boat-crashes-into-cliff-at-lake-of-the-ozarks/751182188

who ever owns those cliffs needs to put out lights.

whoever owns that lake needs to mark the chanel

Russians, from the names, I guess;  maybe they have all sandy beaches where they learned to drive?

13 hours ago, MickinMO said:

The only thing I can think is that if they don't see dock lights they assume it's the channel.

That's my guess also.  

A '02 Bayliner fits the discription of a rental.

It isn’t really that difficult to stay in the middle at night. The tough part is when you are pulling up to a dark bank. Sometimes it gets pretty tough to tell how far away you are. It always makes me nervous pulling up to a dark bank at night. I usually stop way short and trolling motor the rest of the way in to avoid any potential problems. 

These arent guys pulling into a fishing spot. If you are in a runabout and are going fast enough to total a boat and injure or kill people you have lost track of where the open water is. It just baffles me that this happens so often. 

If ever you are driving and suddenly can't see what's in front of you....  STOP !    (Car, boat, lawn mower, or sled pulled by a team of husky's,  it doesn't matter).  No vision=No motion.  Pretty simple rule that so many seem to just not agree with. 
How does a person live to be 50-60 years old and never learn this?

14 hours ago, MickinMO said:

How drunk or stupid do you have to be to run into a cliff/bluff?

drunk on the lake stupid, those types and drink and drive a boat unfettered, we had a push back on drunk driving a few years ago and they put teeth in the people caught drinking and driving and jail time gets peoples attention 

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

That's my guess also.  

A '02 Bayliner fits the discription of a rental.

yup how long till they get sued 

22 minutes ago, MickinMO said:

These arent guys pulling into a fishing spot. If you are in a runabout and are going fast enough to total a boat and injure or kill people you have lost track of where the open water is. It just baffles me that this happens so often. 

really? its the bar on the lake mentality drunks or people high do stupid things

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

17 hours ago, MOPanfisher said:

Or maybe not run a dark lake at night might be another option. 

I  go along with this  I am in my late 70s and do not see all that well at night anymore.. A few years back I had a good start at doing that in spite of having ran this area of the Gravois for over 25 years.

I had not been out fishing down the Gravois arm for a couple of years. There is a lot of blackness down there when your headed towards the channel. I used to use the   docks back in coves with lights on them to help me navigate down the channel. There were new docks and new light. For some reason it just did not look right to me. The light just did not seem right.  I dropped down to a troll speed.  Luckely for me there had been a slight wind on my back when I left my dock. I realized that wind was coming at me then from my feet side. I knew then there was  a bluff out in front of me. I returned home and have not been out after dark since that time other than staying in my cove. And even then I do not go far our fast. The older we get the easier it is to become disorintated.

It would not make any sense to light the bluffs they are to big to be all lite up.