The mine again

watermen2

• Members

https://www.tu.org/blog-posts/protecting-bristol-bay-this-one-is-personal

There are always better wordsmith's than myself.  For thirty years I have been blessed to spend time in this region.  If you don't get it, take a trip with Phil and experience the place.  There were many, and only a few places like this remain in the world.  Wild fish are special!  The comment period basically starts tomorrow.

Sean

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, watermen2 said:

There are always better wordsmith's than myself.  For thirty years I have been blessed to spend time in this region.  If you don't get it, take a trip with Phil and experience the place.  There were many, and only a few places like this remain in the world.  Wild fish are special!  The comment period basically starts tomorrow.

Sean

I sent my letter.  Thanks, Sean.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, watermen2 said:

Sean

Got this back today, Sean.

Dear Mr. SIO3

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Pebble Mine permit in Alaska. Knowing your thoughts and concerns helps me better represent the people of Missouri’s 2nd District in Congress.

As you may know, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently announced that it will invoke authority under the Clean Water Act to determine whether it should permanently bar the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from issuing a discharge permit for the mine. This follows an assessment previously made by EPA on the environmental impacts that the mine could potentially have on the area. All of these actions have come before proponents have applied for a federal environmental permit for the project and serve as a rare preemptive veto by the agency that potentially disregards due process. Pebble Mine is the largest and most contentious mine ever proposed in Alaska.

I will continue to monitor this situation as it develops. Rest assured, as your Representative, I take my oath to protect the Constitution very seriously and value the important role Congress plays as a check and balance in its symbiotic relationship with the Executive and Judicial branches of our government, no matter what political party may be in the White House.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Hearing the views of all Missourians gives me the opportunity to better understand how important public policy items could impact the people of our state and the future interests of our nation. In that regard, your input is most helpful.

For additional information regarding current legislation and the 2nd Congressional District, I invite you to visit my website at
http://www.wagner.house.gov

Sincerely,
AW_BK_Sig.png
Ann Wagner

Member of Congress

• Members

This whole issue has become decidedly political.  As a fellow fish head, ignore the hyperbole and vitriol and pay special attention to the FRI scientist from UW as he describes the fish themselves and the ecosystem.  I am familiar with most anadromous fish on this continent and these are unique. They also are becoming extremely limited in their present range compared to their historical range.  It will not affect most of us in our lifetime.  The video is interesting for informational purposes.  Hope you enjoy it!

Sean

• 3 months later...

Well, I think we all knew it would happen eventually. Powers that be weren't going to stand by and not get a cut of wealth for themselves. Shameful at the very least.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/epa-clears-path-for-proposed-copper-and-gold-mine-near-alaskas-bristol-bay/ar-AAF7rw8?ocid=spartandhp

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• 5 months later...

Thursday says "Hold my beer, Pebble Mine."   Today we have the rollback of Clean Water/wetland protection and 1972 Clean Water Act and green lighting the construction of the Keystone Pipeline across federal lands in Montana. But I guess who cares, at least 401K's are up right now. Our kids can sort it out, we've got retirement to worry about.