Torrential rain and I’m stupid

1 hour ago, Johnsfolly said:

Glad you made it out ok. Any nice fish caught prior to almost losing your life?

I fished a creek in Oklahoma where my buddy said that they could get flash flooding 2 to 3 feet above the bank which was 15 feet above where we were fishing at the time.

Hahaha no giants but, plenty this size.... sorry the pics suck

9A9F711A-DF24-40DF-B6FC-8419993F563D.jpeg

EE5D6B66-5A3B-4671-A5F6-E5BF00B93BD4.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Smalliebigs said:

Yes in the Winter in 45 degree water.... I got one of my scupper holes lodged on a street sign on Marshall rd right by the Golf center hahaha another dumb move. Pete this creek had a very steep banks or Bluffs really and I was right at a railroad bridge and it kinda had to make a choice as I could not get up this steep embankment of gravel to the railroad tracks. I tried like 10 times digging my fingers and toes as hard as I could to crawl up this railroad footing and just couldn’t, cut my fingers and hands up. By the time I realized I couldn’t get up the hill the creek had trees and rootwads coming down stream and was a torrent. I made the choice to swim for it which was not all that prudent. Should have just sat it out clinging to the hill the best I could for an hour or Two. Once in the creek the force of the water was astonishing and the amount of debris was nuts, as I said at that point I dropped rod and reel and did the survival swim to a flatter spot down stream and pulled myself out and walked thru a then flooded field to the bridge I parked at. I had to wait there until the water receded to even think about crossing the low water bridge. I am an absolute idiot!!! To be fair I saw it rained over 4 inches in 40 mins just to the northwest of where I was but, it’s still no excuse for my stupidity.

Dude!   I saw the reports on the news about heavy rain in certain areas.  

2 hours ago, Terrierman said:

Yikes. Glad you're OK.  I used to do high water stuff on purpose a long time ago.  The shut ins on the St Francis cured me of that for good.  Nothing like being no joke scared for your life to make a lasting impression.  Again, glad you are OK.

Thanks man..... I used to run down to St Francois river every time it would rain hard enough but, that was in the 90’s

It happens.  But usually there is some muddy water before the flood.  Really did not see it coming??

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Glad you are OK! Gotta be careful. Have had to drag my camp and canoe uphill on several occassions...Flooded out of Montauk SP with a toddler and a baby in a pumpkin seat once, water came up 8-10' in a half hour. Have seen the Little Piney spike 15' overnight. Jack's can be dicey too.

The Little Niangua is one that can come up 3-5 feet in 10 minutes.  Sounds like a low flying jet approaching.  Followed by the sound of a dump truck unloading a bed full of large rock.  

The guy (Wolfman) that used to own Cedar camp got killed in a rise like that.  

1 hour ago, jdmidwest said:

It happens.  But usually there is some muddy water before the flood.  Really did not see it coming??

Oh yeah it got off color and it rose and then it came up like 3 feet in a matter of what seemed like 20 seconds 

37 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Glad you are OK! Gotta be careful. Have had to drag my camp and canoe uphill on several occassions...Flooded out of Montauk SP with a toddler and a baby in a pumpkin seat once, water came up 8-10 in a half hour. Have seen the Little Piney spike 15' overnight. Jack's can be dicey too.

I’m an idiot I saw it coming and chose to climb up this gravel embankment at this railroad bridge I was at and couldn’t get out of there the gravel was washing out from under me and I panicked a little bit and just jumped in the SOB. The level had gone up dramatically while I was trying to claw out of there. Should have just stayed put..... like I said even at 51 and doing the crap for a long time I panicked and made some dumb moves 

37 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

The Little Niangua is one that can come up 3-5 feet in 10 minutes.  Sounds like a low flying jet approaching.  Followed by the sound of a dump truck unloading a bed full of large rock.  

The guy (Wolfman) that used to own Cedar camp got killed in a rise like that.  

This was quite literally a wall of water it filled that tight little valley up faster than I could have ever imagined 

Glad you are OK!  That's scary stuff!  I haven't seen anything like that...the worst I've encountered was quicksand while wading a stream for smallmouth.  Was walking on top of it, then immediately when both legs thigh deep into it.  Figured nobody would find my body if I kept sinking. Fortunately I hit a hard bottom at that point.