Cast iron

96 CHAMP

1 hour ago, BilletHead said:

Treat them any way you like. 

No, cuz I'll feel like a shitheel.  I will sense you glaring over my shoulder if I even touch a cast iron skillet, with that disgusted look of yours.   Piss on it, I ain't even going there!   

This is like Sugarbritches when she says "Fine, go ahead". 😅

15 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

No, cuz I'll feel like a shitheel.  I will sense you glaring over my shoulder if I even touch a cast iron skillet, with that disgusted look of yours.   Piss on it, I ain't even going there!   

I treat my skillet like monkey dodo and it's fine. Drag it around all over the place. Cook over open campfires, toss in the river to let the minners and crawdaddies clean overnight, scrub it with soap and scouring pads, throw it in the dishwasher. It's fine. When I ask the kiddo is she wants pancakes her first question is "Are you going to make them in that big black pan?". If the answer is yes she's all in. 

22 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Oh No Rick,

Those grades are fine. I use them both out of Lye  or Electrolysis tanks. Sos pad or Straight steel wool with comet. Then rise off and go with a wash in dish soap. Rinse and dry in oven. Then begin the seasoning process.

Dang.  A cast iron snowflake.

Wait.  Quoted wrong post.

21 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Dang.  A cast iron snowflake.

20200420_173516.jpg

20200420_173447.jpg

Little Wagner is on its way. I think one more application of oven cleaner should do the trick. Then will continue on the deep Wagner.

I do a lot of cleaning/abuse the same way Terrierman doea, I will even add scrubbing with sand occasiinally, and if it gets bad I burn it in the grill go after it with a wire brush in a drill and even some sandpaper before reseasoning.  They can be babied, abused and about anything in between.  Would be fun to have a hobby of buying used ones at garage sales etc, cleaning and reseasoning them and sell them for stupid high prices to wannabe up pie types who want some cool cast iron, then when they ruin the finish reseasoning them for $25 each. 

54 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

20200420_173516.jpg

20200420_173447.jpg

Little Wagner is on its way. I think one more application of oven cleaner should do the trick. Then will continue on the deep Wagner.

Go John Go!

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

8 hours ago, ness said:

See spot run!

Good Guess !

That skillet was produced in that same time period as the Dick and Jane series of books. Thank you Ness for participating in the Cast iron discussion:) .

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead