Cast iron

96 CHAMP

One of the best things for your cast iron is using it. The more you use it the better the seasoning will become. I'm not just talking stovetop here but baking. Cornbread, cookies, cakes etc. is good forming a carbon layer. Today we did Bierocks in a couple skillets.  One skillet is a circa 1924 Wagnerware 14 inch beauty. The largest in our collection and most likely the highest price collector value.

DSCF3659.JPG  Dough made with two raises. In between the filling was made which included ground venison , cabbage , sauerkraut and various herbs and spices.  Dough then separated and rolled out. Filling and then wrapped in a neat round package. Egg washed and topped with whatever you want. Today it was poppy seed, celery seed and serrano smoked salt.

DSCF3662.JPG      Popped into a 350 degree oven until done.

DSCF3664.JPG      What a wonderful day and meal,

DSCF3665.JPGDSCF3666.JPG

BilletHead 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Love me a good bierok! Haven't made them in quite a while though. It's time.

We had a Mennonite cook at the house when I was in school. She introduced a lot of us to them. On the weekend of pheasant opener in western Kansas there would be bierok dinners, usually done by older church ladies.

https://www.kansas.com/entertainment/restaurants/dining-with-denise-neil/article176082361.html

John

• 2 weeks later...

As promised for @Terrierman Rick and others that may be interested,

Awhile back I piggybacked on a post by Rick about a lodge he had found. I posted an Erie skillet I had found and told him I would post when I got it restored. Finished it yesterday. Cleaned up real nice and seasoned up real good. Circa 1880 -1905. With a bit more research I may be able to narrow that down to more of a specific date. It is a rather cool piece and I even put it to work for breakfast this morning. It has been very well used but not abused. After the cleaning I was happy to see something cool on the bottom. Right above the D that is next to the 8 is another mark. A flower I call it.  A pattern maker mark. There are several different marks out there It is either a pattern makers signature or something to do with quality control. There is some sulfur pitting on the bottom. Real common for something this old. Caused by high sulfur content in the gas or coal used to heat the skillet. 0301200622a.jpg   While I was doing one skillet I did another at the same time. It is a Vollrath Circa 1950 -1960. 0301200622c.jpg  Both of these skillets have a smooth slick cooking surface.  thumbnail_0301200621.jpg

So the Erie did some work this morning. As the Mrs. scrambled eggs in a #10 Wagner I reheated and crisped some potatoes. These potatoes are the bomb. Diced up with some onions, coated in goose fat some S&P then a serious dusting with some dehydrated chanterelles I had run through the coffee grinder. They were then roasted in a 450 degree oven. Good yesterday and leftovers this morning in the skillet! thumbnail_0301200632_HDR.jpg0301200637.jpg 

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

1 hour ago, Bushbeater said:

I took a look at our old Erie, it's quite similar to the one you show, with a bit more of the sulfur damage. Still cooks good though. It's been our everyday skillet for years.

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

Thanks for sharing your skillet! 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Since the deep freeze may be over I filled the e-tank and started it up. Have three pieces in it fizzing away. Two skillets a Wagner and an unmarked one. Too much crud to see any marks right now. Then there is a waterman gem pan. 

0301201227_HDR.jpg

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

On 2/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, BilletHead said:

One of the best things for your cast iron is using it. The more you use it the better the seasoning will become. I'm not just talking stovetop here but baking. Cornbread, cookies, cakes etc. is good forming a carbon layer.

If you haven't bake-fried a deep dish pizza in one then your life has been pointless. 

2 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

If you haven't bake-fried a deep dish pizza in one then your life has been pointless. 

Been there done that! Yessiree. 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

3 hours ago, ColdWaterFshr said:

My life has been pointless then.  Recipe please!

2nd!

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)