Stripping Basket?

FishnDave

I've never used one...but can certainly see the advantages of keeping line up out of rocks, sticks, etc.

Just wondering if any of you fly guys use one, either when fishing on foot or on a boat?  Thoughts?

This one seems to be the least obtrusive:

https://www.avidmax.com/ahrex-flexistripper/?sku=939-968635

image.png

1 hour ago, FishnDave said:

image.png

Not sure what would pop up if I goggled flexistripper:lol:.

Seen lots of striped bass fly guys using short trash cans for line holding when fishing from a boat.

I've tried both the strap-on kind when wading, and the stand-alone type in the boat.   I find them to be JUST ANOTHER THING to get in the way.  

On the rare occasion that the line comes zipping out without tangling, I don't notice that it helps me shoot any further than if the line is in a pile at my feet.

45 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I've tried both the strap-on kind when wading, and the stand-alone type in the boat.   I find them to be JUST ANOTHER THING to get in the way.  

I'm sure you are right.  I've gotten along without one for this long.  I'm not really looking for it to improve my casting distance.  Fly line seems to find a way to tangle on everything when I fished from a boat or kayak...even when trying really hard to be careful.  It might be nice for keeping the line up out of the rocks when fishing along a riprap shoreline.  

My wife wants to get me something for Christmas... I think I'll let her get me one, and then give it a try.  

My fishing buddy invited his cousin to fish the White with us one year.   He shows up to Rim Shoals with a stipping basket.  I had to call it out.  I said do you really cast that far that you need that.  I mean this dude was frail looking and short.  He says he bets he can cast farther than me and I'm all over it...   Well he strips out out the whole line plus a bunch of backing, makes two false casts and rips the whole thing out!  I was dumbfounded.  Turns out he was a member of the Golden Gate Casting club for like 30 years and man could he cast.  

6 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

My fishing buddy invited his cousin to fish the White with us one year.   He shows up to Rim Shoals with a stipping basket.  I had to call it out.  I said do you really cast that far that you need that.  I mean this dude was frail looking and short.  He says he bets he can cast farther me and I'm all over it...   Well he strips out out the whole line plus a bunch of backing, makes two false casts and rips the whole thing out!  I was dumbfounded.  Turns out he was a member of the Golden Gate Casting club for like 30 years and man could he cast.  

I saw John Wilson pull that trick in a motel parking lot. Effortlessly.....with somebody else's rod.

I've tried 1000 times but I've never been able to shoot a whole line.   It apparently isn't hard to do....you just gotta know how.  And I don't.  

1 minute ago, fishinwrench said:

I saw John Wilson pull that trick in a motel parking lot. Effortlessly.....with somebody else's rod.

I've tried 1000 times but I've never been able to shoot a whole line.   It apparently isn't hard to do....you just gotta know how.  And I don't.  

Don't go running your mouth at the Conclave.  Trust me!.   This guy said it was like throwing a baseball.  I've gotten close but that's it.  The new lines are shorter too...

One of these days I will make one just because I've thought for years about keeping the line off the rocks and out from under my feet, any sort of plastic pan, a tube of liquid nails  and a handful of wire nuts and about five minutes could save a $100 line from damage, but so far I only think of it when I'm not in the shop... I think it would be wonderful if using a full sinker while wading too.

Shoot a whole line? I can usually cast 30-40' no problem. My long ago mentor though could roll cast all of a 30 yard DT all day long, and catch trout too.