Fishing "The Wall" at Baxter ? Beware of trot-lines !

skeeter

If you are one of those night-time anglers usually fishing "The Wall" on the same side of the Indians as Baxter Marina.....BEWARE !   Some unnamed soul has put out and then left behind several Trot-Lines along the steep shoreline and Bluff face there and they are creating a mess with the usual bait-grabbing hang ups trot-lines create.  They are unmarked with no required name or address of the person installing them and run parallel to the shore. 

Table Rock is not a good lake for trotlines because of all the Bass fishing, But man they will work, but they def needed to be marked very bright for swimmers and other fisherman.....TR is just loaded with flatheads. If i see one marked i happily avoid it and move on, those guys that actively run lines dont hurt my feelings.  Just hate when they are hidden or left for dead

Guys, be really careful when messing with lines that aren’t yours.  Lots on them are submerged and out of site, but really there are very few here. 

As you probably know, they can be marked with a conservative number you could write on a postage stamp. No longer is it required for you to put name and address, just that small number. 

I had a guy picking up my swim noodle float lines and watched him put them in his bass boat for 20 minutes. 

I was within site of the lines as they were not anchored. The trotlines can be left unattended. 

I approached him and he said he was cleaning the lake. Totally in the back of Mill Creek. Didn’t have a confrontation but I took his boat number and told him if he ever touched them or I any others again he was in serious trouble. 

Man, this water is big enough to share. If I get a hook in a trot line I simply get it out. It is against the law for me to run it or look for a conservation number. If it’s mossy and green you can call the agent, but it’s not my place to destroy something that cost that amount of money theses days and on top of that it’s against the law for me to mess with it. 

20 years ago i May have thought different but now days I seem to look at things from others point of view. 

Good Luck out there. 

26 minutes ago, Bill Babler said:

It is against the law for me to run it or look for a conservation number.

That is what I thought when reading other comments.

Pulling or cutting someone's line is simple theft.

The best are the Tarzan trot lines left in the bush and tree overhangs after the water drops. They are just left dangling there. Up in the James River arm of the lake there are quite a few of those as well as the ones in the water. I haven't ever removed any. It would be nice if they were clearly marked though as some are hard to spot until you are hung up in them. 

16 hours ago, skeeter said:

If you are one of those night-time anglers usually fishing "The Wall" on the same side of the Indians as Baxter Marina.....BEWARE !   Some unnamed soul has put out and then left behind several Trot-Lines along the steep shoreline and Bluff face there and they are creating a mess with the usual bait-grabbing hang ups trot-lines create.  They are unmarked with no required name or address of the person installing them and run parallel to the shore. 

From the MDC website "fishing regulations": 

Number of poles and hooks

If you use more than three poles (or two poles on the Mississippi River) at any one time, the additional poles must be labeled with your full name and address or Conservation Number. Regardless of the method or number of poles, you may not use more than a total of 33 hooks at any one time; except on the Mississippi River the maximum is 50 hooks at one time. If fishing on the Mississippi River and on other Missouri waters at the same time, no more than 50 hooks may be used and not more than 33 on waters other than the Mississippi.

Hooks on trotlines must be staged at least 2 feet apart. Hooks on any type of line, as well as the line itself, must be attended every 24 hours or removed.

SIX trotlines put out along "The Wall", not one of them marked, comprise far greater than the allowed "33 hooks". 

4 hours ago, skeeter said:

SIX trotlines put out along "The Wall", not one of them marked, comprise far greater than the allowed "33 hooks". 

Are you an Agent whose job it is to check for violations?

If not your tampering with other people's property could be construed as attempted theft, no?

You had to pull each of those six lines and examine every foot of them to know that they are unlabeled. The conservation number on a copper  tag is not going to be visible from a passing boat.

18 minutes ago, tjm said:

Are you an Agent whose job it is to check for violations?

If not your tampering with other people's property could be construed as attempted theft, no?

better yet an agent pulls up and suddenly your running an unmarked trot line with more than the allotted hooks. You either claim the line isn't yours and your breaking the law running it....or it is yours and your breaking the law too.