I DON’T WANNA FISH LIKE THAT.

Bill Babler

I spent my first 38 years fishing one of the cleanest lakes in the country ... Lake Ouachita in Arkansas. I've seen bass bed with the naked eye at depths of 18-22 feet on the edge of hydrilla/elodea/milfoil beds. That's a heckuva lot clearer water than Ivie but the grass stopped growing short of 25 feet because there wasn't sufficient light penetration for it to grow deeper. So, if grass won't grow down there, how can I dbass spawn? 
Sounds to me like someone is seriously trying to justify their spend on livescope equipment. How do they know they're looking at bass? They don't.

How can this guide see a spawning bed on livescope? Why is this only happening at Ivie? Why not TR, Beaver or Bull Shoals? All three have much clearer water and therefore much better light penetration. 

I'm a little surprised that Texas largemouth will even go that deep for any reason, but I won't argue the point. But I will argue that (a) they can't spawn that deep and (b) that guide is full of goose hockey if he's telling people they are catching bedding fish out there.

Nothing personal, Travis. I understand that you are just relaying information. But in this case, seems to me it is misinformation. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

16 hours ago, tjm said:

...Is there even enough plankton for them to eat at that depth?

That's the real kicker. AFAIK, there could be, shad certainly spend enough time grazing that depth. However, if it's only a 50' to swim to the grocery store, it could happen.

I can't dance like I used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Truman has plenty of places with sufficient light for fish to spawn. But they do it shallow

On 11/16/2023 at 8:20 AM, Basfis said:

How do fish spawn in Truman if light is necessary for a hatch? Missouri River? 

Shallow. The dirtier the water, the shallower the nests will be. 

The following was taken from Field & Stream, a very old and very reputable source of fishing/hunting information. 

Screenshot 2023-11-30 072515.jpg

ClassActionTransparent.png

All the years i used to go scuba diving in Bull. Something i noticed, is i never would see any life below 35 ft, it was just cold dark and creepy.  But that was always in the summer when there was thick obvious thermocline. Might be different in the Winter

12 hours ago, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

All the years i used to go scuba diving in Bull. Something i noticed, is i never would see any life below 35 ft, it was just cold dark and creepy.  But that was always in the summer when there was thick obvious thermocline. Might be different in the Winter

Always thought it was dark down there.  This spring I was catching spots that were down 50 feet or so in somewhat low viz water, had to be just about completely dark where those fish were.