Ramifications of Livescope

5 hours ago, AceCoop said:

I'm taking my kiddo to a HS tournament at TR in May.  They'll have approximately 200 boats.  I'll be in lil' 2001 Lowe 170 putting along with a 70hp, being out-classed and out-cast, and living the dream (doing the same this weekend on BS and never even bass fished that lake before).  We're fixing to get whooped, but it'll be fun!

Good luck, I hope you and the kiddo do well.  

10 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

This is true, and a really good point.  🤔 

I'd say that the older guys just assumed that the experience that they had acquired over the years actually MEANT SOMETHING.....so they didn't take it seriously.     

One thing is for sure..... Nothing has ever upset the fishing world as much as FFS has, and there's gonna be a war.....So pick a side! 

I talked with Ronnie Capps a couple of years ago (I know crappie tournament guy not bass) He said he was slow to embrace the tech, but when he did, "everything I thought I knew.....was WRONG..."  He is playing catch up but getting there. 

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein

The top ten. Winner 19 years old. Four were in their 20s. Five were in their 30s. For the most part none have been around long enough to accumulate a lot of tournaments, but all have been successful ending up in the money most of the time. No more than these tournaments pay its imperative to cash at minimum 50% of the time unless the sponsorship is outstanding. $43,000 to fish 9 tournaments. There is a possibility to pay only $19,500 depending on how well you do. Tenth place was only $15,000. Not a very good return for a $4,800 bet. Some of the younger contestants probably aren't saddled with as much pressure since their principal address is their parents basement. 

6 hours ago, waterpossum said:

Some of the younger contestants probably aren't saddled with as much pressure since their principal address is their parents basement. 

I can't blame them for that. When I was young and really in it, I still had my own place and a good job while also going to college. But I wasn't making any boat or truck payments. I wasn't paying for gas. I wasn't paying my own entry fees. I wasn't even paying for most of my own tackle. If I needed something then my dad and his buddies would find a way to make it happen. 

Not everyone out there has to make a check. Some of them are being carried financially and sometimes the only reason people are carrying them is because they think that big dumb kid deserves a chance. 

36 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Some of them are being carried financially and sometimes the only reason people are carrying them is because they think that big dumb kid deserves a chance.

The big dumb kid from Maine that only fishes a jig......Yeah he needs to get a job.🙄

The rest of those kids actually seem to really have their stuff together.   Way better than I did at that age, that's for sure ! 😔

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

The big dumb kid from Maine that only fishes a jig......Yeah he needs to get a job.🙄

The rest of those kids actually seem to really have their stuff together.   Way better than I did at that age, that's for sure ! 😔

Well, he keeps showing up on the check line - there’s that.

Mike

58 minutes ago, nomolites said:

Well, he keeps showing up on the check line - there’s that.

Mike

You can't make a living, or even support your habit on WINNINGS.    One blown transmission, or a totalled truck and the fun is all over.  🥴 

There's a local youngster that I know well, and he's running all over the country fishing the MLF circuit. Decent fisherman, and he has a few decent sponsors trying to help him.....thanks to his girlfriends daddy....but he acts and talks like a robot when in front of a camera. Zero personality.   It's blatently obvious that he ain't got what it takes.   It's painful to watch his dreams get broken because he's a really good kid.  🫣

18 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You can't make a living, or even support your habit on WINNINGS.    One blown transmission, or a totalled truck and the fun is all over.  🥴 

There's a local youngster that I know well, and he's running all over the country fishing the MLF circuit. Decent fisherman, and he has a few decent sponsors trying to help him.....thanks to his girlfriends daddy....but he acts and talks like a robot when in front of a camera. Zero personality.   It's blatently obvious that he ain't got what it takes.   It's painful to watch his dreams get broken because he's a really good kid.  🫣

The only thing crushing his dreams are the other LOZ guys on tour hammering them consistently. There’s a ton of very talented anglers up there . If you’re not good enough on that lake to compete locally then you better not even try to go bigger. 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:29 PM, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

Its just so hard for me to wrap my head around how playing Mario or Halo with a handheld control translates at all into dialing in your live scope and judging distances with your casts to specific fish

Same here. I've played my share of games while growing up, but I can't say that any of it has helped me when it comest using FFS. The biggest asset for me when it comes to learning this stuff is YouTube. Doug Vahrenberg helped me learn side imaging and The Garmin Guru did the same when it came to Livescope. Before I ever owned either type of sonar tech, I already had a pretty good understanding of how to dial things in and put them to work. I think the younger generations are just a lot better at doing the same thing that the older crowd. I'm a soon to be 38 year old millenial so not really young, but not old either. Working in IT leads me to a lot of Googling and YouTubing for solutions though.

Here's my take on old dudes like me vs. young bucks, when it comes to FFS.....

We were in on the ground floor of sonar stuff, the displays and returns were CRAP and honestly couldn't be relied upon.....and we wasted a decent portion of our lives trying.   

Today's kids were brought up with far more decent/friendly/reliable electronics.....stuff that actually MEANS WHAT IT SAYS.  

This is why I think the older generation is so slow to accept and learn this stuff.   

In my field of work the diagnostic programs of the first computer controlled outboards were a huge waste of time.....and time is money.   The odds that the diagnostic programs would ACTUALLY lead you to the heart of the problem were about 1-in-15.  🙄

Honestly that hasn't gotten any better, which is why I won't even bother trying anymore.