Fatter Sunday Report

Launched at 7 AM done at 8.  Had to get back to the condo, pack and drive home.   Made my run then caught this one after about 20 minutes of fishing.   I cleared the scale of the weight of the net so that’s the legit weight. 
I need to explain that these fish are only out of the water a total of 30-40 seconds.   Once to weigh them in the net over the water.   Let rest a few minutes in the net while I check them out and get a good look at them.   Then once more for a quick photo on the board.  The new board 25” and with tail unfurled this one was right at 25”s.  

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I’d like to see a side of that one on a cedar plank.

I guess I could keep one for you if you want.  I personally don’t like trout. I like all kinds of fish and seafood just not a fan of trout.  
You’ll have to deal with the CnR trout fanatics after I post pics of the fillet though 😂.  Oh the horror!  

I keep a few trout every now and then, especially when we have guests coming. I look for the ones that have a bit of orange on the bottom as they are the ones that have been in river feeding on scuds and snails. The meat will be orange colored and they taste like salmon to us. They are great filleted and sauteed and then finished with toasted almonds, butter, lemon and white wine. They also are great brined and smoked. They taste like smoked salmon that you pay $25/lb for.

10 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I’ve never eaten or will tilapia.  I’ll be in SC in two weeks.   Grouper and skrimps baby!   

Wild caught tilapia is great eating. The stuff you buy in the store...I wouldn't serve to the feral cat in yard. 

25 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I’ve never eaten or will tilapia.  I’ll be in SC in two weeks.   Grouper and skrimps baby!   

Don’t forget sea bass!!

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Tilapia is a member of the cichlid family and they were "imported" to the south Texas rivers that we used to fish. The cichlids and tilapias were fun to catch as they ate dry flies and were about as good whole fried as a big sun perch.