1st Annual YETI Open Big Bass Event | Table Rock Lake | Sept 26-28th

• Members
On 9/24/2024 at 9:19 AM, Big Bass Tour said:

This one is easy, format is fun, tons of money and a lot of people cash checks. $50k for one big fish to the winner. Not to mention if you were one of the first 250 to sign up you got $285 worth of items for your entry and you were "in the money" before you made a single cast.  No brainer if you paid attention early. 

See everyone soon!

This format is the only one where you can take a very average fisherman, get lucky,  and get a check. If you are a better than average you can cash several. Absolutely love fishing them the last 10 years or so. If you pay attention to signup dates and get early signup the free rod is a nice bonus. Got to say Yeti hooked us up! I paid $175 for Friday & Saturday and got all this from them. So got all that for $110 less than "retail" and get to fish 2 days for $100k or so... Sure I'll take that..

2.57 for 10th in the first hour! Now I'm made I'm not on the water today!

Yeti Open '24.jpg

On 9/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, fishinwrench said:

Given my experiences working on their boats I can honestly speculate that there are A LOT of guys that wouldn't be out there fishing at all.....if there wasn't a derby for them to participate in.    

It's actually the ONLY reason why they ever fish.....or care anything at all about fishing.    It would be like someone playing BINGO just for fun.   

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't how I felt towards bass fishing. I love the competition and getting to bs with the other anglers before take off and after weigh in. If I'm fun fishing, it's more than likely going to be for something else besides a bass since I get my fill of them while fishing tournaments. I'm doing cheap river club stuff  and not spending big money on the lake scene either though. If we weren't winning enough to at least break even or make a little bit of money then I would have a hard time justifying it.

I avoid the lake when the big tourneys are going on, especially on a Saturday.

Looking at the results so far, looks to be a 6.14 leading.  My speculation was that it would take one at least 7 to win.

I would fish this thing if it was more convenient for me.

On 9/23/2024 at 4:32 PM, Seth said:

Didn't you fish a lot of tournaments back in the day? Seems hypocritical to complain about them now that you've decided to not fish them.....

Actually, it would be hypocritical if I continued to fish tournaments and complain about them at the same time.
I'm not anti-tournament entirely ... like Wrench, I'm just against dozens of derbies every darn weekend so that a few people can benefit from the money that's thrown around. What's the purpose of a permitting process if you grant a permit to everyone who applies?

Yes, I played the tournament game a long time --- long enough to know that if you MOVE some of these events to other lakes, people will still fish. Some won't like it, but others (me, Wrench and most definitely others, as well) would be glad to reap the benefits of less pressure when we are out there fishing on weekdays while most of the derby guys are slaving away to make those $1,000 boat payments. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

On 9/23/2024 at 5:23 PM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Since I got a place here I look at it every week.   It’s unbelievable.   Then to sit on my balcony and watch it is comical.  Guys literally rotating through the same spots all weekend all day long.   Comical, until you realize they are hauling all the fish away😐

And that "hauling all the fish away" needs to be stopped....permanently !  Most of these "tournaments" are Commercial Operations conducted for Profit or a Product Promotion.   Release them where you caught them like I hope the one large Tournament organization is still doing. 

On 9/24/2024 at 8:25 AM, DADAKOTA said:

I've fished many tourneys over the years and still fish a few local events.  Very few make any money at the game, but they are extremely popular still.  Not sure I will ever understand the mindset of the donators who show up continuously and give away their money.

"donating" their money or items qualifies as a promotional business Income Tax Write-OFF that is definitely not LIMITED to the cost of the items nor just the amount of the cash awards/prizes and is beneficial to most of them since they are reaching their hard-core targets without having to fork over large sums of cash in a "shotgun" approach to advertising.   Always follow the money and Tax consequences.  42 years at a Fortune 500 Corporation in a Corporate Hdqtrs. position well aware of how Marketing minds work in conjunction with the Tax Department and the Controller's Group.

On 9/28/2024 at 7:03 AM, skeeter said:

"donating" their money or items qualifies as a promotional business Income Tax Write-OFF that is definitely not LIMITED to the cost of the items nor just the amount of the cash awards/prizes and is beneficial to most of them since they are reaching their hard-core targets without having to fork over large sums of cash in a "shotgun" approach to advertising.   Always follow the money and Tax consequences.  42 years at a Fortune 500 Corporation in a Corporate Hdqtrs. position well aware of how Marketing minds work in conjunction with the Tax Department and the Controller's Group.

I believe the "donors" referenced are the fisherman who pay entry fees with little to no chance of recouping their "investment".

I'm sure many tournament fisherman see entry fees same as a many of us would a green fee in golf. 

26 minutes ago, Gumboot said:

I believe the "donors" referenced are the fisherman who pay entry fees with little to no chance of recouping their "investment".

I'm sure many tournament fisherman see entry fees same as a many of us would a green fee in golf. 

I know a couple guys who clearly are donors.  Golf, if you are good enough is easier to net a profit.  Set of golf clubs is way cheaper than a boat....   I did it for years.  Weekly skins games and "pro/scratch matches.  A club in IL used to have a $1000.00 skins game.  Even John Daily showed up once.  The side games got pretty steep.   I would play in 2-3 cash games a week.

On 9/24/2024 at 7:55 PM, fishinwrench said:

It's just a game.  If it wasn't fishing it would be golf, bowling, ect.  They are there for the camaraderie. Hanging out & drinking beer with guys they work with, or live near. 

And some really like the boat race.  

It's the same at the Trap & Sporting clays range.  Only a very small handful of guys are truly dedicated to it.....but they are ALL there every Wednesday night.

Exactly. 

Making a profit has never crossed most of their minds.