Anybody got started yet?

BilletHead

Well let the harvest begin. Up to seven. Two came from this morning.

IMG_20240603_104508631.jpg

Taste like chicken? Nope tastes like squirrel. Both of these were big ballers old bucks. I took a third one out of the fridge that was taken three days ago. Gonna be tough. Time to get out the insta pot. Salted the pieces, a little broth in bottom of the pot. Squirrel on the little rack inside. 25 minutes at high. After pressure release this is what we had. IMG_20240603_141814354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240603_151255616.jpg

I heated up the peanut oil and Pat did a dry breading, wet in the broth from the pot and then another roll in the breading. Then I gave it a swim in the hot oil 

IMG_20240603_153105326.jpgIMG_20240603_153523033.jpg

Sides of some kind of bagged salad with the dressing provided. Need to get more of that, 

Some Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping. Ooh this hit the spot today.IMG_20240603_153624487.jpg

Like I said life is good in the Billet hood. Wowsers.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I'm really glad you enjoy that enough to go to all the trouble.  It does look and sound really good.  When I still squirrel hunted, we made squirrel cacciatore often.  It's a good way to deal with the tough ones.  Basically pan fried like yours and then stewed in Italian gravy with lots of peppers, onions and garlic.  Your choice of pasta to serve it over.  Bowties were my usual.

6 hours ago, Terrierman said:

I'm really glad you enjoy that enough to go to all the trouble.  It does look and sound really good.  When I still squirrel hunted, we made squirrel cacciatore often.  It's a good way to deal with the tough ones.  Basically pan fried like yours and then stewed in Italian gravy with lots of peppers, onions and garlic.  Your choice of pasta to serve it over.  Bowties were my usual.

Its no trouble at all doing it this way. Pressure cooking just takes place of your stewing or long braise.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I am up to 7 in the backyard. They started chewing my flowers so it was time to do a little population control. Nice young ones, too.

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

Still the best squirrel deterrent there has ever been. They don’t even try for the bird feeders anymore. The new group of young ones learned that across the top of the privacy fence is no safer than being on the ground. Stay in the trees at least 8 foot up. And don’t slip. It’s a game to her and she’s really good at it. 

IMG_7990_Original.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Still the best squirrel deterrent there has ever been. They don’t even try for the bird feeders anymore. The new group of young ones learned that across the top of the privacy fence is no safer than being on the ground. Stay in the trees at least 8 foot up. And don’t slip. It’s a game to her and she’s really good at it. 

IMG_7990_Original.jpeg

What’s her name again,  Smoochie Cinderella??

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

On 6/4/2024 at 10:54 AM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Nice!!!  That's a dish I've never heard of enyone talking about outside of family.  Poor italians used roof rabbits for that too...😆

I used to make a chicken version of cacciatore. Was a great way to elevate cheap chicken back in the day. Now there is no cheap chicken🙄