Pet Peeve

dblades

Photos are a easy to take without even putting the fish down.  I turn my phone camera on and have it ready.  Catch a decent one,  fish in 1 hand, phone in the other.  Snap a pic.  Toss the fish back.  Believe me I think efficiency is the name of the game with fishing and I hate wasting time not fishing when I'm fishing,  but if it's a decent one I'll snap a pic.  Takes 10 seconds.  Best way though is just to lay em all out on a tail gate at the end of the day and take pics then.  No wasted time then.  Do this for crappie, bluegill, and walleye only of course though. :D 

I wish BASS and MLF would just wise up and require them to get fish friendly nets and USE them. Like it or not their behavior drives weekend angler behavior. If they treated their fish better, it would become the norm to not mishandle your fish.

Not only are the use of the appropriate nets necessary for the health of the fish, but also for the safety of the anglers. Three years ago, I marshaled with Chris Lane when he won the BASS Elite on Lake St. Clair. We were in Lake Huron for some of the fishing and he was standing on the front deck with no butt seat up front. A lot of the guys don't have any pedestal seats in the boat at all. Chris fell down to the deck a couple of times and he was dangerously leaning over the side of the boat to land fish. I asked him to at least put his Mustang on, but he refused. By the way, Chris was an awesome guy to spend the day with.

Last year, BASS made the Open anglers fish without nets. Matt Vermilyea, who this year is fishing in the Elites, had his Co-Angler fall out of the boat on Lake Erie. Matt was able to get him back in the boat, but he fell out trying to reach for a big smallmouth bass. Two years ago,, when I fished the Northern Opens as a Co-angler, you could use a net. My buddy who I traveled with that year and is fishing the Northern Opens again this year, feels that the no net rule is the dumbest thing ever for the Open tournaments with Co-Anglers. 

Look, I say over and over that I want to catch every fish in the lake, but if a fish gets off boat side, it's not really a big deal to me. I don't swing a fish into the bottom of boat to flop around ever. I rarely swing fish at all unless I am planning on keeping them to eat. 

I want to release my fish in as good a shape as possible. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

well, the wind is howling, the bass are bunched up, you have to get out the camera or phone, turn it on, get glasses so you can see what the H___ you are doing, take the pic, and by now, you are about 80 yards from where you got the bass.  if i stay on the trolling motor, stay in place, unhook the bass, get right back in there, i can keep catching them.:lol:.  got to make hay while the sun shines!

bo

yep,i can see that wouldn't be easy 

I wish I would have read this 15 minutes ago. I wouldn't have posted my pics. I will work on not letting them lay on the carpet.

Don't let folks stop you from posting pics and reports. Sometimes we just do the best we can, knowing it's not perfect. A wet net, a wet keeper board, or a wet boat seat are all good options. Those all give a nice sense of scale too, no pun intended.

I wish I would have read this 15 minutes ago. I wouldn't have posted my pics. I will work on not letting them lay on the carpet.

You're good man, people will complain about anything. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor