Lowrance Ghost?

eyedabassman

I have an Ultrex, which I have had for 2 seasons.  I just think it is great. 

Spot lock is great, catch one, hit spot lock you stay put, or if you need to retie, you don't find yourself on the other side of the lake when you are done.

Happy New Year

Z22

1 hour ago, Ranger Z22 said:

I have an Ultrex, which I have had for 2 seasons.  I just think it is great. 

Spot lock is great, catch one, hit spot lock you stay put, or if you need to retie, you don't find yourself on the other side of the lake when you are done.

Happy New Year

Z22

The Ghost has spot lock also. I was told that the Ghost has a internal gps in the head. My problem is I run Humminbird electronic ‘s . The Lowrance rep told me about the internal gps so I don’t have to be hooked into a Lowrance unit for the spot lock to work. But would I still need a puck for that to work?

I bought both the Ultrex and the Ulterra in 2019.  Had to spend the money due to taxes and at that time for the Bass Boat the Ultrex was the only spot lock.  The Ulterra is still the only self deploy so I got one for the trout boat and the Ulterx for the bass boat.  Got those last year and they have both been in the shop twice.  New head on each and a new lower unit on each.

Prior to that I had the Motorguide Xi5 on the trout boat which was the only other spot lock motor.  it did not self deploy and lift, so I went ahead and got the Ulterra.  Had a Motorguide X5 Tour on the Phoenix.  Both extremely dependable but lacking some of the functions I wanted.

This is not meant to be critical of the Ultrex or the Ulterra, as they were the best thing as far as spot lock for bass boats and self deploy for other boats on the market, but both have some pretty significant flaws that both Lowrance and Garmin have improved on.

First I'll speak on the Ultrex,  It is the heaviest motor I have ever tried to lift, it is noisy, sounds like a coffee grinder I just simply hate the noise as the motor head rotates and it is slower than slow.  Top speed on mine pulling my 22 ft. Phoenix is 2.7 mph.  The Mg pulled the same boat at 3.2 mph  It was the new deal, now it is the old deal.  The spot lock is just OK and here is a test for you.  Drop a marker and hit the spot lock at the same time while your fishing.  On the Motorguide Xi5 you just about can't do it as it will put you right on the string.  On the Ultrex and Ulterra your going to end up within about 10 ft. of it or a 1/2  boat length at about best, if there is any movement on the water.  This is due to the reaction time between your antenna and the satellite.  Much, much slower than the Lowrance point 1 antenna.

The Ulterra is still the only self deploy and it is a great savings for me in just servicing my clients, but it is slower than slow and will only take a single command at a time.  The Motorguide takes multiple commands and is smoother and super quiet and much faster.  The satellite up link is also slow and when you hit anchor if there is any current on Taney, it will slip with the current.  Although it speeds up to try and keep you on your anchor point it will soon lose that spot and just shut off.  The Motorguide will fight it to the death and not lose it or shut off even in current.

There are two new brushless motors out now, one by Garmin and one by Lowrance.  Both are faster, quieter, easier to deploy better and more accurate spot lock than anything by either Motorguide or Minn Kota at this point.  The Garmin will pull your boat at 5+ mph and the Lowrance is over 3.75 mph on a 36 volt system with a 22ft. bass boat.

Speed for me is important as going across short coves or just skipping dead water without starting the big engine is a time saver for my clients.  Of course both are symbiotic with their perspective electronics.  As Minn Kota is with Hummingbird and Motorguide is with Lowrance.

The Lowrance Ghost cost $3,000.00  No brushes more thrust and quiet with capability of scan in the trolling motor head  Inter-changeable heads and transducers  24 V or 36V in the same motor 36 Volt is 130 lb. thrust   Up to 60% longer battery life over brush trolling motors, at same or higher speed. Head make zero noise when turning super easy to lift and totally wireless in the aspect of hard wiring.  Immediate command control.  Absolutely no interference between motor and graph at any speed.  3.75 mph.

Garmin Force   Cost $3,200.00 No brushes wireless remote and foot.  30 to 40 percent more power and 30% more battery life than Mg or MK  No sonar noise at any speed.  completely quiet, speed up to 5.5 mph.  Remote that floats"SUPER IMPORTANT."   I had mine flip out of the boat for my Ulterra and that is a $200 loss.  Simply point and shoot on remote no button operation fastest gps lock antenna on the market remote foot pedal faster than wired.  Totally cable free totally quiet during turning.  Total wireless.  24 or 36 volt with the same motor.  140 pounds thrust on 36 and 115 on 24.  Easy lift.

Minn Kota Ultrex with I Pilot  $2,799.00   112 pounds trust on 36.  You can bet we will be seeing new motors from both Minn Kota and Motorguide in the next year or two as they will both be totally obsolete.

That's the story for Jan. 1st 2020

50 minutes ago, eyedabassman said:

The Ghost has spot lock also. I was told that the Ghost has a internal gps in the head. My problem is I run Humminbird electronic ‘s . The Lowrance rep told me about the internal gps so I don’t have to be hooked into a Lowrance unit for the spot lock to work. But would I still need a puck for that to work

4 minutes ago, Bill Babler said:

I bought both the Ultrex and the Ulterra in 2019.  Had to spend the money due to taxes and at that time for the Bass Boat the Ultrex was the only spot lock.  The Ulterra is still the only self deploy so I got one for the trout boat and the Ulterx for the bass boat.  Got those last year and they have both been in the shop twice.  New head on each and a new lower unit on each.

Prior to that I had the Motorguide Xi5 on the trout boat which was the only other spot lock motor.  it did not self deploy and lift, so I went ahead and got the Ulterra.  Had a Motorguide X5 Tour on the Phoenix.  Both extremely dependable but lacking some of the functions I wanted.

First I'll speak on the Ultrex,  It is the heaviest motor I have ever tried to lift, it is noisy, sounds like a coffee grinder I just simply hate the noise as the motor head rotates and it is slower than slow.  Top speed on mine pulling my 22 ft. Phoenix is 2.7 mph.  The Mg pulled the same boat at 3.2 mph  It was the new deal, now it is the old deal.  The spot lock is just OK and here is a test for you.  Drop a marker and hit the spot lock at the same time while your fishing.  On the Motorguide Xi5 you just about can't do it as it will put you right on the string.  On the Ultrex and Ulterra your going to end up within about 10 ft. of it or a 1/2  boat length at about best, if there is any movement on the water.  This is due to the reaction time between your antenna and the satellite.  Much, much slower than the Lowrance point 1 antenna.

The Ulterra is still the only self deploy and it is a great savings for me in just servicing my clients, but it is slower than slow and will only take a single command at a time.  The Motorguide takes multiple commands and is smoother and super quiet and much faster.  The satellite up link is also slow and when you hit anchor if there is any current on Taney, it will slip with the current.  Although it speeds up to try and keep you on your anchor point it will soon lose that spot and just shut off.  The Motorguide will fight it to the death and not lose it or shut off even in current.

There are two new brushless motors out now, one by Garmin and one by Lowrance.  Both are faster, quieter, easier to deploy better and more accurate spot lock than anything by either Motorguide or Minn Kota at this point.  The Garmin will pull your boat at 5+ mph and the Lowrance is over 3.75 mph on a 36 volt system with a 22ft. bass boat.

Speed for me is important as going across short coves or just skipping dead water without starting the big engine is a time saver for my clients.  Of course both are symbiotic with their perspective electronics.  As Minn Kota is with Hummingbird and Motorguide is with Lowrance.

The Lowrance Ghost cost $3,000.00  No brushes more thrust and quiet with capability of scan in the trolling motor head  Inter-changeable heads and transducers  24 V or 36V in the same motor 36 Volt is 130 lb. thrust   Up to 60% longer battery life over brush trolling motors, at same or higher speed. Head make zero noise when turning super easy to lift and totally wireless in the aspect of hard wiring.  Immediate command control.  Absolutely no interference between motor and graph at any speed.  3.75 mph.

Garmin Force   Cost $3,200.00 No brushes wireless remote and foot.  30 to 40 percent more power and 30% more battery life than Mg or MK  No sonar noise at any speed.  completely quiet, speed up to 5.5 mph.  Remote that floats"SUPER IMPORTANT."   I had mine flip out of the boat for my Ulterra and that is a $200 loss.  Simply point and shoot on remote no button operation fastest gps lock antenna on the market remote foot pedal faster than wired.  Totally cable free totally quiet during turning.  Total wireless.  24 or 36 volt with the same motor.  140 pounds thrust on 36 and 115 on 24.  Easy lift.

Minn Kota Ultrex with I Pilot  $2,799.00   112 pounds trust on 36.  You can bet we will be seeing new motors from both Minn Kota and Motorguide in the next year or two as they will both be totally obsolete.

That's the story for Jan. 1st 2020

Bill, do you have any information on the new Motorguide to be released this year, I have yet to find any reviews except for what’s on their website

57 minutes ago, eyedabassman said:

The Ghost has spot lock also. I was told that the Ghost has a internal gps in the head. My problem is I run Humminbird electronic ‘s . The Lowrance rep told me about the internal gps so I don’t have to be hooked into a Lowrance unit for the spot lock to work. But would I still need a puck for that to work?

If you buy the Ultrex and are running Lowrance electronics you will need to add a Lowrance transducer for the  best picture. When i first got my new Ultrex I used the built in transducer and the picture was crap with a lot of interference at lever 6 speed and above.  Switched to the Lowrance transducer and it cleared right up with a perfect picture.