Columbus Statue Removed

Mitch f

33 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Columbus was a douchebag. 

I’ll quote a very famous author 🙄 in response “Welcome to America, Home of the Ignorant”

18 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

That's what I'm saying ! 

Funny how they always wait until everyone that knew how things REALLY went down, are dead and gone.... before they start teaching (and preaching) about it.  And you must answer the tests a certain way in order to get that all important "diploma".

to use your own logic, the guys who knew what really went down would know that Columbus’s arch rival set the narrative of his bad press. Greatly exaggerated. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

1 hour ago, Mitch f said:

I’ll quote a very famous author 🙄 in response “Welcome to America, Home of the Ignorant”

to use your own logic, the guys who knew what really went down would know that Columbus’s arch rival set the narrative of his bad press. Greatly exaggerated. 

I never even knew of any "bad press" until it was too late for it to matter.   😅

So if we get rid of anything relating to the confederacy, slavery, the Antebellum period, Columbus, Churchill, history books, and on and on will it really change anything?  I really doubt that anyone lost sleep because a confederate general's statue resided in a park.  History should be remembered and learned from.   Pretty sure when Catherine Bach leaned over the General Lee I never noticed the confederate flag on the roof.  People should be judged by whether they are a good person, their talents, and abilities.  Not by the color of their skin, gender, creed, etc.

58 minutes ago, DADAKOTA said:

So if we get rid of anything relating to the confederacy, slavery, the Antebellum period, Columbus, Churchill, history books, and on and on will it really change anything?  I really doubt that anyone lost sleep because a confederate general's statue resided in a park.  History should be remembered and learned from.   Pretty sure when Catherine Bach leaned over the General Lee I never noticed the confederate flag on the roof.  People should be judged by whether they are a good person, their talents, and abilities.  Not by the color of their skin, gender, creed, etc.

History class sure be easier!  She was leaning on a car???

A few flaws with this logic.

1.)  Statues are not how we record history.  They are how we celebrate someone or something.  Should we have a statue of every person in the history books, just to preserve history?  I don't think you would make that argument.  

2.) Christopher Columbus, much like the old confederate stuff, is just not worth celebrating.  Yes, its history, nobody is trying to erase that, but it sure doesn't make sense to celebrate undeserving people. 

Just now, nomolites said:

Next come the books...

Mike

Clearly your mind is already made up, but let me explain why that's absurd.  If someone wants to remove one of these statues, why do you think that is?  The logical answer is because they believe these statues represent terrible people/ideologies.  If that is the case, it would behoove them to reference literature that substantiates their claims.  So you're incorrect.  Nobody will be getting rid of books.

Before you reply about how text books are somehow flawed/liberal/fake, i suggest you read some of the writings directly attributed to Columbus.   

40 minutes ago, top_dollar said:

Clearly your mind is already made up, but let me explain why that's absurd.  If someone wants to remove one of these statues, why do you think that is?  The logical answer is because they believe these statues represent terrible people/ideologies.  If that is the case, it would behoove them to reference literature that substantiates their claims.  So you're incorrect.  Nobody will be getting rid of books.

Before you reply about how text books are somehow flawed/liberal/fake, i suggest you read some of the writings directly attributed to Columbus.   

I think you are giving entirely too much credit to the statue destroyers - most cannot tell you the history of that individual(s), and would not read the book if you placed it in front of them.  From what I can see the mob is generally interested in the destruction of anything that represents civilized society.  This particular statue may be an exception as there may actually have been discussion and debate prior to it’s removal, but it is certainly NOT representative of the fate of most recently.  I do not buy that that these are discerning individuals.

Mike

2 hours ago, top_dollar said:

Here’s a good watch...Starting at the 18 minute mark

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor