Turkey hunter shoots hiker

Quillback

20 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

[Quote] The Missouri Department of Conservation was managing a turkey hunt at the time of the shooting, and a sign near the entrance of the trail stated that the hunt was ongoing until 1 p.m, [/quote] 

Was this one of those lameass special MDC things where they give a seminar, and then take urbanites out so they can "experience outdoor sports" ?    

If so, then I hope the hiker sues them for so much that they can never afford to do it again.   

It’s been a wildlife area forever.  Hiking trails are the new deal.  Me and a buddy were squirrel hunting there years ago when someone fired some shots that hit trees near us.  We yelled up the draw that we were down there so they would quit shooting our way.  The firing intensified and they had us pinned down for about a half hour.  We could hear them talking and laughing.  They finally left and we bugged out.  

22 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

It’s been a wildlife area forever.  Hiking trails are the new deal.  Me and a buddy were squirrel hunting there years ago when someone fired some shots that hit trees near us.  We yelled up the draw that we were down there so they would quit shooting our way.  The firing intensified and they had us pinned down for about a half hour.  We could hear them talking and laughing.  They finally left and we bugged out.  

Should have flanked them.  Then...

Wildlife areas, Conservation Areas, State Forests were in the past often bought with hunting generated monies, such as the Pittman-Robinson Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 and more or less required to be set aside for hunting, that's why I said I'm always surprised when they allow hiking/biking/bird watching/roller skating/whatever to interfere with legal hunting in these areas. But the nationwide trend has been that as the old guard of wildlife and forest employees retire or die off that they are replaced by non-hunting or anti-hunting young folks and management policies are tending toward non-consumptive use.

When I lived in Lake St. Louis I would draw in at Weldon and Busch a lot..and let me tell ya, never again! Lots of game, but I saw hikers where I thought they'd never be. Had a guy run past me on a steep ridge about 3/4-mile away from the nearest trail. Where the hell did he come from and why was he out there?? Just a lot of room for accidents and people not respecting each other. 

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

30 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

When I lived in Lake St. Louis I would draw in at Weldon and Busch a lot..and let me tell ya, never again! Lots of game, but I saw hikers where I thought they'd never be. Had a guy run past me on a steep ridge about 3/4-mile away from the nearest trail. Where the hell did he come from and why was he out there?? Just a lot of room for accidents and people not respecting each other. 

My son has been drawn in the deer hunts there.  I thought they closed it during the hunts but I guess not.  Some huge deer in there.  I've always thought the hunting would come to an end there sooner or later.   Heck the high school is right there.  

30 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

Lots of game, but I saw hikers where I thought they'd never be. Had a guy run past me on a steep ridge about 3/4-mile away from the nearest trail. Where the hell did he come from and why was he out there?? Just a lot of room for accidents and people not respecting each other.

As hunters we are obligated to be held to identifying our targets before pulling the trigger. This guy should be charged in accordance to his failure to id his target. However additional help from the non-hunting community would go a long way in providing more safety in those multiuse areas as well.

I put in for the city archery tags in Columbia and went to their mandatory safety meeting. Not once did I hear any discussion about the hikers, joggers, dog walkers wearing orange when in those areas. The one woman brought in her golden retriever and begged us to not shoot him. An orange dog vest would a long way in preventing any accidents. 

4 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I thought they closed it during the hunts but I guess not. 

There is a CA in Columbia (Three Creeks CA) that has divided the CA into multiple use areas. There is a designated hiking and horesback area that is closed to all hunting except during the firearms deer seasons. That information was on the CA site pamphlets and I believe that they also posted the appropriate parking areas around the gun season. I have not heard of instances where there were issues. 

50 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

My son has been drawn in the deer hunts there.  I thought they closed it during the hunts but I guess not.  Some huge deer in there.  I've always thought the hunting would come to an end there sooner or later.   Heck the high school is right there.  

I have drawn there and Ryan is correct; I alway set up where I knew the deer would get pushed and never expect a hunter for that reason ( and always saw many...usually least more than humans), but the big deer out there are pretty cagey and are tough to take.  I quit applying due to 1) the knucklehead factor, and 2)  I have more peaceful places to watch the sun rise or set.

Mike

Hikers and horsebackers never stay on the trail. When you open the area to them you have closed it for hunting. State parks are for hiking and riding and they don't allow any hunting or trapping on parks land.  Keep the hikers there.