Damage control 2022

BilletHead

Nice job.  All the trapping I have done is for wildlife control.  Fur is not worth the effort now, not like it was in the past.

I keep the possums and coons in check around here.  At the farm I will pop a coyote with a restraint from time to time.  Like to catch one of the bobcats running around there.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

21 minutes ago, tjm said:

I've eaten beaver. Backstrap, I think, but it was already cooked when I saw it, extremely lean and tasted very rich, if a bit tough. which might have been in the cooking method. But yes the tails were eaten for the fat content, most wild game meat doesn't have fat like beef or 'coon.

The eating part is next. Continue on the what's cooking on the food thread.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

37 minutes ago, oneshot said:

I like Beaver their good eating. I use to trap and run Dogs.

Made enough to buy my first place.

My Ex when I left her she gave away my 200 traps 😥

oneshot

You made enough money trapping to buy a piece of real estate ?    Holy balls! 

In the late '70s early '80s that was quite possible. A  great market for a few years, think Russia was buying. One man I knew quit union carpentry to trap full time ~'79-80.

Would you quit your job today to swipe catalytic converters?

Trapping then probably paid less than boat repair does now, but the Carter economy sucked, so it was possible to make as much as the average annual income of the time in the three months of good fur. Legal too.

7 hours ago, tjm said:

Would you quit your job today to swipe catalytic converters?

Before I'd take up trapping full time?   Heck yeah I would.   Cat converters are way easier for me to find than a dump truck load of fur bearers.    

Hell of a lot easier to process too.   Just gimme a sawzall and some safety glasses.