Jump to content

Fun day at Bennett / something old is new to me


BilletHead
 Share

Recommended Posts

           Well after not going to Bennett for a good long while we made the trip over this morning for some fishing. It was a hoot with quite a few caught by Pat and me.  We did not go real early and could care less about hearing the siren go off. I would say moderate crowd.  Took our time getting ready gearing up. I have been messing with some vintage gear. A buddy gave me a automatic reel when I told him I would like to try one again. Had a quick stint with one I bought at Wal Mart in 1976 and that did not last long. So, this deal has snow balled. I began to search for a Shakespeare wonder rod. This I did, actually two at a whopping 15 bucks each. I also bought two Martin automatic fly reels for 15 bucks each at the same time. Did any of you know that Martin is the oldest active reel maker in the United States and started since 1884? Received a patent the automatic reel in 1899? Just some trivia for you all. I paired up the Martin #2 reel from the 1920s to 1930s with the wonder rod 8'6" circa 1954. Tried various lines and went with a five weight that @kjackson had extra. Thanks, Ketih!  This was the outfit for me today. We slipped into the water at the outlet entrance of the stream. We seen very few fish caught as we started to fish.  Tried various things watching for fish reaction. Pitiful it was and I quickly realized I was fishing with a different piece of equipment. I could not feel my back cast as line turned over at all. I adjusted my timing and began to hit my stride. Then finally I put on a small black leach deal and caught a couple.

thumbnail_36031.jpg

Gave that to Pat and put on a leach made with bobcat. Caught more as Pat still had no luck so we worked up the outlet channel where Pat scored high sticking a big fox squirrel nymph. 

thumbnail_36055.jpg

     So we crossed over to the stream just above the big rock bluff and fished some more. Caught more stripping. Then up to below the dam where we caught stripping, on beetles, ants and egg patterns. Before we knew it noon happened, and it got hot. I did waders in shorts. My knees got cold and hurt but it was the nicest cold hurt. Getting out of the water and walking back to vehicle in the hot made me appreciate that hurt. I'm hooked and this vintage deal will become part of the fly-fishing arsenal from now on. 

   There was a bad part of the day though. This morning Sandy @laker67 and I had been texting. Told her of our plans. She said she might drive over. I checked my text messages at 12:30 while we were almost to Lebanon. DANG she had got there at 10:30 and had texted me wondering where we were fishing. I felt so bad we wanted to see and fish with her. We traded fish pictures by text. She was catching too. Not sure where and how we missed her I have no idea. We will find her next time! 

   Yes, I could have caught more with modern gear. Yes, I would of casted much better with modern gear.  It's not about numbers with us anymore it about the whole process.  

  Story over....... Thanks for reading,

  The BilletHead's

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been using "vintage fly rods" since '76,  but never fished  a Shakespeare. My preference in 'glass is 7.5' 6/7wt. (HDH-HCH).  I'm kinda surprised that your  rod fit a #5. (HEH) as that was ultra light back then, usually in 6'6" or 7', and fairly uncommon.  Even the rods that I bought new are vintage now. The automatic reels were the most common I saw back in 50-60s  and almost every  fly rod user used live bait. It wasn't until after I was out of the Navy in the mid '70s that I ever saw an actual fly fisher. I always warn people about the autos, to be sure and release the spring after puling a few feet of line out the tiptop, otherwise the reel can suck the fly right through a couple of guides bringing the broken tip with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BilletHead said:

           Well after not going to Bennett for a good long while we made the trip over this morning for some fishing. It was a hoot with quite a few caught by Pat and me.  We did not go real early and could care less about hearing the siren go off. I would say moderate crowd.  Took our time getting ready gearing up. I have been messing with some vintage gear. A buddy gave me a automatic reel when I told him I would like to try one again. Had a quick stint with one I bought at Wal Mart in 1976 and that did not last long. So, this deal has snow balled. I began to search for a Shakespeare wonder rod. This I did, actually two at a whopping 15 bucks each. I also bought two Martin automatic fly reels for 15 bucks each at the same time. Did any of you know that Martin is the oldest active reel maker in the United States and started since 1884? Received a patent the automatic reel in 1899? Just some trivia for you all. I paired up the Martin #2 reel from the 1920s to 1930s with the wonder rod 8'6" circa 1954. Tried various lines and went with a five weight that @kjackson had extra. Thanks, Ketih!  This was the outfit for me today. We slipped into the water at the outlet entrance of the stream. We seen very few fish caught as we started to fish.  Tried various things watching for fish reaction. Pitiful it was and I quickly realized I was fishing with a different piece of equipment. I could not feel my back cast as line turned over at all. I adjusted my timing and began to hit my stride. Then finally I put on a small black leach deal and caught a couple.

thumbnail_36031.jpg

Gave that to Pat and put on a leach made with bobcat. Caught more as Pat still had no luck so we worked up the outlet channel where Pat scored high sticking a big fox squirrel nymph. 

thumbnail_36055.jpg

     So we crossed over to the stream just above the big rock bluff and fished some more. Caught more stripping. Then up to below the dam where we caught stripping, on beetles, ants and egg patterns. Before we knew it noon happened, and it got hot. I did waders in shorts. My knees got cold and hurt but it was the nicest cold hurt. Getting out of the water and walking back to vehicle in the hot made me appreciate that hurt. I'm hooked and this vintage deal will become part of the fly-fishing arsenal from now on. 

   There was a bad part of the day though. This morning Sandy @laker67 and I had been texting. Told her of our plans. She said she might drive over. I checked my text messages at 12:30 while we were almost to Lebanon. DANG she had got there at 10:30 and had texted me wondering where we were fishing. I felt so bad we wanted to see and fish with her. We traded fish pictures by text. She was catching too. Not sure where and how we missed her I have no idea. We will find her next time! 

   Yes, I could have caught more with modern gear. Yes, I would of casted much better with modern gear.  It's not about numbers with us anymore it about the whole process.  

  Story over....... Thanks for reading,

  The BilletHead's

I still have Laker's auto fly reel and rod he had as a boy.  Not sure I'm cool enough to try it out :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, laker67 said:

I still have Laker's auto fly reel and rod he had as a boy.  Not sure I'm cool enough to try it out :)

 

           You are and am sure you will when ready!

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tjm said:

I've been using "vintage fly rods" since '76,  but never fished  a Shakespeare. My preference in 'glass is 7.5' 6/7wt. (HDH-HCH).  I'm kinda surprised that your  rod fit a #5. (HEH) as that was ultra light back then, usually in 6'6" or 7', and fairly uncommon.  Even the rods that I bought new are vintage now. The automatic reels were the most common I saw back in 50-60s  and almost every  fly rod user used live bait. It wasn't until after I was out of the Navy in the mid '70s that I ever saw an actual fly fisher. I always warn people about the autos, to be sure and release the spring after puling a few feet of line out the tiptop, otherwise the reel can suck the fly right through a couple of guides bringing the broken tip with it.

           Some clarification here is needed tjm.  I was thinking of my other wonder rod for length that has no visible markings on rod butt. The rod in question is a 1250 7'9" HCH. Circa 1953-1956 When reading the charts, it's saying DT7 for floating and DT8 for sink.  So, is there an equivalent chart for more modern lines out there I am missing? I will try casting a 7wt line but do not think it will go too well. I am thinking it will be like a chuck and duck affair. I did however get by real well IMO with the 5wt WF line. I have read guys say throw the old chart out when using new lines and find one that casts for you?  Butt markings No.1250 FCL 

Shakespeare - Fiberglass Flyrodders Wiki

 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DADAKOTA said:

Learned to fly fish with a Shakespeare Wonder rod and an automatic fly reel.  Caught many trout at Meramec Springs and in the UP on that rod.  Numerous bass and gills in MO as well.  FIrst ultralight was a Wonder rod as well.  Still have them both.  Might need to bust them out again.

Do it,do it and do it again!

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.