I DON’T WANNA FISH LIKE THAT.

Bill Babler

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

What's next is that participants are going to realize that a win (or high finish) is something that happens by chance.  And not because of any special or specific technique that can be repeated.     

Kinda like dumping out a cupful of Yahtzee dice.   

Being recognized for a win only lasts for about 3 hours.     Nobody knew them previously, and nobody will remember them tomorrow.  

Truer words have never been spoken. It's just a different ballgame now. Bring back Bob Cobb and the old Bassmasters shows. Must see TV for me.

So, with FFS, when "prefishing" for a tournament, can they just leave the rods at home?  All they gotta do is drive around and spot the fish on their electronics?

Dustin Connell prefished a tournament year before last. MLF I think in Minnesota.  He said he never took a rod because he would be tempted to fish. 
Stored 135 boulders with smallmouth on them on his Lowrance GPS graph. 

Won the derby going away, and never made a cast prefishing.  

Wheeler has said many times he doesn’t fish during prefishing. Just locate  them.  If you catch them prefishing you don’t catch them during the derby. 

These FFS guys don’t need to catch them to know what size they are.  

Some of these crappie guys can tell you how big they are by ounces, just looking a crappie on a livescope. 

Different world. 

I personally knew a couple of old legends that didn't have a pot to pee in after their lifetime of chasing bass. Most of their winnings ended up with ex wives. When the cost of boats and and trinkets are factored in with travel expense and entry fees only a few will ever profit from the endeavor. I haven't watched a bass tournament for years and with the new technology take over hold no interest in watching someone else fish.

7 hours ago, FishnDave said:

So, with FFS, when "prefishing" for a tournament, can they just leave the rods at home?  All they gotta do is drive around and spot the fish on their electronics?

Yes and No.   Fish spotted around cover or structure can often be coaxed into biting, but with suspended fish it's all about TIMING.   

Throwing repeatedly at them when the timing isn't right will defeat your efforts and screw the pooch, because all you are doing is educating those fish.     If you figure out the timing pattern then it doesn't really matter what bait you are throwing, or how you are working it..... you're gonna load the boat.  All you have to concentrate on is keeping them stuck until they are in the boat, and then quickly getting another one stuck before the clock stops ticking.   

The best FFS anglers (video game fishermen) I know never throw more than twice to suspended fish.    If one doesn't bite or show genuine interest immediately then they get away from them and try again a bit later.   At some point during the day they'll chase and bite with reckless abandon......unless you've pestered them to death TRYING to get them to bite.   

That's why it's such a crapshoot.  

7 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Yes and No.   Fish spotted around cover or structure can often be coaxed into biting, but with suspended fish it's all about TIMING.   

Throwing repeatedly at them when the timing isn't right will defeat your efforts and screw the pooch, because all you are doing is educating those fish.     If you figure out the timing pattern then it doesn't really matter what bait you are throwing, or how you are working it..... you're gonna load the boat.  All you have to concentrate on is keeping them stuck until they are in the boat, and then quickly getting another one stuck before the clock stops ticking.   

The best FFS anglers (video game fishermen) I know never throw more than twice to suspended fish.    If one doesn't bite or show genuine interest immediately then they get away from them and try again a bit later.   At some point during the day they'll chase and bite with reckless abandon......unless you've pestered them to death TRYING to get them to bite.   

That's why it's such a crapshoot.  

I think Bill mentioned the guy with the troller on high going from fish to fish essentially staying in an area with lots of them.   Going back and forth in a grid pattern.   Crazy.  
There’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the MLF format is how often they go back to places they’ve already caught fish and catch more.  It’s paid off for me for sure.  

Lots of these walleye guys have been fishing a grid or a contour grid for years. 

I also said the best bass anglers I took when I was guiding full time were Northern walleye fishermen.  

The Canada and Northern guys showed out. 

Wrench is right on annoying them. Works when they’re on a bed but out in the abyss they will scram or ignore you. 

Singles are super hard to deal with. The Toyota guys said a wolf pack or any number over 2 and it was on.