Old Yeller?

Quillback

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I’ve been catching them out of Beaver 🦫 n the PT 5 area the last 4 years . Catch them on night crawlers when walleye fishing. And I’ve also caught them out of TR . 

Interesting to hear, Ron. I fish that Pt 5 area fairly often so it's possible I've caught and pitched em back without paying much attention, just thinking they were juvenile white bass.

ClassActionTransparent.png

Yellow Bass are a cool little native fish. Weird when they get moved around. AGFC takes a rather dim view of them. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

1 hour ago, FishnDave said:

They are in Iowa... whose state record is 1 lb 9 oz.

They are native to streams, but do well in lakes, where they can become over-populated.  Some of those lakes drain into the Missouri River.

I have looked at ice fishing opportunities on Clear Lake and Lake Okoboji. There was a guide that ice house rentals that I thought were really cool. Seems like yellow bass were one of their target species in terms of catch numbers.

In terms of taste, some people compare the yellow bass to walleye or crappie. The meat is quite flaky and firm ...

Found that ^^ when looking up info on the yellow bass  and USGS shows them as native to  SE Mo. and up the Mo. River as well as along the Ms. River and a portion of the Ar. River. But in the White River Lakes they have to be called invasive.

1 hour ago, Johnsfolly said:

I have looked at ice fishing opportunities on Clear Lake and Lake Okoboji. There was a guide that ice house rentals that I thought were really cool. Seems like yellow bass were one of their target species in terms of catch numbers.

Clear Lake, Iowa, is one of the best places for Yellow Bass anywhere.  Excellent numbers, and they are big ones... MANY in the 10"-12" range.

On 1/13/2024 at 7:48 AM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Tackle shredding, Monsters!!😂

It's all relative.  Big for what they are.  A 9-incher is usually considered a nice one. ("That's what." - She)

Guys up there love icefishing for them.

As for ice fishing for them, are you guys sure you don't mean yellow perch? I know those are awesome eating and very popular with the icefishing crowd. 

74aYellowPerchAcompressed.jpg

ClassActionTransparent.png

2 hours ago, Champ188 said:

As for ice fishing for them, are you guys sure you don't mean yellow perch? I know those are awesome eating and very popular with the icefishing crowd. 

74aYellowPerchAcompressed.jpg

They catch a lot of yellow perch through the ice in the Northern lakes, but I did mean yellow bass. Here is a photo from the guide that I was looking to fish with in Iowa - Kevan Paul's Guide service and a close-up of the fish pile.

IMG_1515-624x832.jpg

close-up.jpg