Dec 21, Big M area

Quillback

Warm temps in the forecast so I had to get out.   Today it was Ned rigs and Keitechs, got zero bites on cranks and jerk baits.  Started fishing a 2.8 Keitech on a 1/4 oz head, letting it fall to the bottom in 15-30 foot deep water and then slow rolled it back.  If the bank I wanted to fish had a lot of trees and chunk rock, I would throw a Ned as that kind of stuff is too snaggy for the Kietech on an open jig head.  

Caught 14 today, 6 were keepers and all were spots except for one smallie.  Caught a couple of short walleye too.

Surface temp 47.  Air temp was 61 when I left at 1:30 PM.

This guy hasn't missed any meals.

large.Dec21spot1.jpg

large.Dec21smalls.jpg

large.Dec21spot2.jpg

Nice job, Jeff. As always.

Did you get livescope and not tell anyone? Pretty sure I read somewhere --- maybe even here --- that if you don't have it, you might as well stay home. Looks like you did fine without it! 

ClassActionTransparent.png

1 hour ago, Royal Blue said:

Honest question:  If the keitech is too snaggy, how in the world aren't you losing a ton of neds?  I all but stopped fishing the ned because it has felt like all I do is spend time trying to get it unsnagged.  

What head are you using? Maybe more importantly was size/weight are you using? Using a 1/32 up to a 1/8oz head I find it pretty hard to get snagged regularly. But you get above that weight for whatever reason, Table Rock and it's namesake bottom composition, will start to eat them up.

1 hour ago, abkeenan said:

What head are you using? Maybe more importantly was size/weight are you using? Using a 1/32 up to a 1/8oz head I find it pretty hard to get snagged regularly. But you get above that weight for whatever reason, Table Rock and it's namesake bottom composition, will start to eat them up.

I'm sure that's why too, but any breeze and that smaller head is hard to feel too.  I end up swinging for the fences with a jig usually instead anymore.  I will 100% recommit to the Ned at some point though.