Hybrids

96 CHAMP

34 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Oh Christ!   A Husker fan🙄

I shoulda known.

Ya know what the N stands for on a Nebraska football helmet?

Knowledge

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

6 minutes ago, JPFisher55 said:

I did some quick google research on sterility of hybrid bass.  Several sources, including tis one https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/300.pdf, reveal that hybrid bass can be fertile and breed with stripers, white bass and even other hybrids.

Thanks for the info fishinwrench.

You are welcome.   Thanks for caring enough to do your own fact checking.  👍 

Several years back I started catching fish that weren't exactly white bass....and weren't exactly Hybrid Stripers.   It wasn't blatently obvious but I knew I wasn't imagining things.   Also noticed right away that those "mutts" weren't near as hearty as the regular White bass (died easily, and almost seemed to have a heart attack when handled).    I've caught enough of them to know that we don't need them polluting the gene pool.      They serve no useful purpose, and are probably going to be detrimental to the health of native White bass.....so WHY CONTINUE TO DO IT ?

19 hours ago, JPFisher55 said:

I did some quick google research on sterility of hybrid bass.  Several sources, including tis one https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/300.pdf, reveal that hybrid bass can be fertile and breed with stripers, white bass and even other hybrids.

Thanks for the info fishinwrench.

Wait that paper described research done by a biologist and funded by the USDA🤔

Seems pretty fishy to me😉.

19 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You are welcome.   Thanks for caring enough to do your own fact checking.  👍 

Several years back I started catching fish that weren't exactly white bass....and weren't exactly Hybrid Stripers.   It wasn't blatently obvious but I knew I wasn't imagining things.   Also noticed right away that those "mutts" weren't near as hearty as the regular White bass (died easily, and almost seemed to have a heart attack when handled).    I've caught enough of them to know that we don't need them polluting the gene pool.      They serve no useful purpose, and are probably going to be detrimental to the health of native White bass.....so WHY CONTINUE TO DO IT ?

In all seriousness have you talked with anyone at MDC about these mutts? Would be a fairly simple genetic study to confirm the origins of their parentage. Some videos of their behavior would probably get a grad student or two  interested in studying the potential further hybridization of white bass.

6 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:
On 10/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, fishinwrench said:

In all seriousness have you talked with anyone at MDC about these mutts?

Yes I have. Twice.  They pretended to be interested, and acknowledged the negative possibilities.  

There are only 3 states where it is being done.