Death wish?

Do a lot of kayakers have one.  I have seen a lot of them in yaks that are not very visible in some very sketchy spots, like away from the bank on blind corners or paddling down the middle of the lake.  I have nearly run over one guy at Stockton who has a custom, beautiful, wood yak that is nearly perfectly camouflaged with the background of wood and rocks that is  prevalent down there.

Once in a while I see someone in a brightly colored one or wearing bright clothing.  Even a few of them have flags that are highly visible.  I’m really surprised that we don’t have more boat/yak collisions on our lakes.

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Do a lot of kayakers have one.  I have seen a lot of them in yaks that are not very visible in some very sketchy spots, like away from the bank on blind corners or paddling down the middle of the lake.  I have nearly run over one guy at Stockton who has a custom, beautiful, wood yak that is nearly perfectly camouflaged with the background of wood and rocks that is  prevalent down there.

Once in a while I see someone in a brightly colored one or wearing bright clothing.  Even a few of them have flags that are highly visible.  I’m really surprised that we don’t have more boat/yak collisions on our lakes.

You oughta see them on Taney.  They all should have buggy flags like they require at off road parks for dirt bikes and side by sides.

Isn't the idea of kayak fishing to be STEALTHY ?   

Cars and motorcycles on the road can be any color, but watercraft has to be bright pink or hunter orange, and have flags attached?    

Logs and floating debris come in earthy tones and don't wear flags either.   I didn't see a guy in a yak once until I was closer than he or I would prefer me to be.  I got all pissed and started to chew him out.....but then I thought about it for a minute.    Time for ME to slow down and pay closer attention!     

24 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Isn't the idea of kayak fishing to be STEALTHY ?   

Cars and motorcycles on the road can be any color, but watercraft has to be bright pink or hunter orange, and have flags attached?    

Logs and floating debris come in earthy tones and don't wear flags either.   I didn't see a guy in a yak once until I was closer than he or I would prefer me to be.  I got all pissed and started to chew him out.....but then I thought about it for a minute.    Time for ME to slow down and pay closer attention!     

Yeah but if I hit a log or whatever it only harms me.  Last time I checked Logs didn't have occupants I could hurt inadvertently.  But as usual I'm sure you're right.😆

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Yeah but if I hit a log or whatever it only harms me.  Last time I checked Logs didn't have occupants I could hurt inadvertently.  But as usual I'm sure you're right.😆

I’m sure that he is opposite of anything that is posted.

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

The point is....if you can't see something the size of a Kayak with a person in it, then you need to slow down and pay closer attention.

• Members
30 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

The point is....if you can't see something the size of a Kayak with a person in it, then you need to slow down and pay closer attention.

Absolutely !

And the flip-side of that coin is, for the small watercrafters out there:  "Take responsibility for YOUR OWN SAFETY and PAY ATTENTION to big fast things on the water"

I do a fair amount of kayaking (finished that Table Rock end-to-end I mentioned in another post 11 days ago) and I have a setup that, when I want to be hidden/stealthy/fishing/hunting then I am.  If I need to be visible (as in spots with bigger faster floaters out there) then I am.  I take responsibility not only for my own safety but the safety of others out there, as any boater should be doing ... large or small, powered or unpowered.

No, Dutch, kayakers don't have a death-wish.  No more so than any other group of people (bicyclists, motorcyclists, vehicle drivers, truck drivers, boat drivers, pilots, etc., etc.)  They're all just stupid.  Act accordingly, people.

2 hours ago, Woodland Artisan said:

Absolutely !

And the flip-side of that coin is, for the small watercrafters out there:  "Take responsibility for YOUR OWN SAFETY and PAY ATTENTION to big fast things on the water"

I do a fair amount of kayaking (finished that Table Rock end-to-end I mentioned in another post 11 days ago) and I have a setup that, when I want to be hidden/stealthy/fishing/hunting then I am.  If I need to be visible (as in spots with bigger faster floaters out there) then I am.  I take responsibility not only for my own safety but the safety of others out there, as any boater should be doing ... large or small, powered or unpowered.

No, Dutch, kayakers don't have a death-wish.  No more so than any other group of people (bicyclists, motorcyclists, vehicle drivers, truck drivers, boat drivers, pilots, etc., etc.)  They're all just stupid.  Act accordingly, people.

Always assume the other guy/gal is stupid or uneducated. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised. Mostly you will be correct. BTW, I make the same assumption when I look in the mirror. Goodness knows I have lost count of the times I have done something stupid.

I love kayak fishing as well, but I wouldn't dare get out on the main part of a lake in one! Back coves and along the shoreline would be the safest bet not to get run over!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

1 hour ago, ollie said:

I love kayak fishing as well, but I wouldn't dare get out on the main part of a lake in one! Back coves and along the shoreline would be the safest bet not to get run over!

It shouldn't be that way though.   It's actually a sad fact that everyone is just expected to accept that.    Even considering that the law is on their side.