I DON’T WANNA FISH LIKE THAT.

Bill Babler

4 minutes ago, Toby Estes said:

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree and just go with fish caught in deep water just ingest more air than fish caught in shallow water😁

Lacking 4-6 bong hits.... that's the best solution I can agree to.  👍 

7 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

My wife reached for the remote earlier, lost her balance, slid off the couch and landed on my dog.    

I probably should go FIZZ her right quickly !    

Gnight y'all 👍

Well you do have a tool small enough for the job😂

• Members

Man, I should of kept my mouth shut. I'm sorry I started this mess. I have FFS. My wife and I fish T's. We don't fish deeper that about 20 ft. I have belly weights, but have never used them. At 70 years old I'm not sure I trust myself to hold a syringe steady enough to puncture an air blatter.

12 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

"due to rapid depth change"....  Yep, I've heard that for YEARS.....

...and the depth change we are referring to is from deep to shallow, correct?     

Well....How in the Sam Hell does bringing a sack of gaseous vapor from deep water to shallow water cause the volume of gaseous vapor to increase?     The world that I live in does not work like that, I don't think.    Not sure about the one y'all are standing on today.   

Please keep in mind that in most instances we are talking about an elevation change of only 40-50 feet.....Not like taking it to the moon or beyond!   😅.  

You said you were good at Chemistry, the Ideal Gas Law was quoted above in algebraic form  as "PV=nRT"; basic chemistry stuff. But we don't need the entire gas formulation to explain the bends; at -100' in water two things are different than at the surface, the pressure is higher and the temperature is lower. Boyles Law (ca 1662) states that "Volume is inversely proportional to Pressure" or that with a balloon full of air if the pressure is decreased (deep to shallow) the balloon will increase in size with no additional air.    Charles' law (ca 1787) states that:
"The volume of a given fixed mass of a dry gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature at a constant pressure." meaning that a balloon full of air at 50F will increase in size if brought into 90F temperatures.

The fish is not ingesting air as it is jerked up from the depths, but the air already in the bladder is expanding as the pressure decreases and the temperature increases. Think of the bladder as a sealed balloon that was filled to capacity at -100' pressure and temperature.    No more molecules of air at the surface than at the depth, but the distance between the molecules has increased as pressure decreased and as temperature increased. 

I don't know about the fizzing healing fast or being a good ideal because if it didn't heal at all and the fish died when it returned to the -100' depth, the guy with the need would never know.

As an experiment you can take a filled balloon, measure it's circumference, put it in the freezer over night, take it out and measure it again right away and it should by Charles' Law be smaller when cold. You can also take a filled balloon and squeeze it with your hands and see that the higher  pressure from the squeezing makes the balloon smaller, but that it returns to full size when you release the pressure.   

Edit- the gas laws explained- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws

3 hours ago, tjm said:

You said you were good at Chemistry, the Ideal Gas Law was quoted above in algebraic form  as "PV=nRT"; basic chemistry stuff. But we don't need the entire gas formulation to explain the bends; at -100' in water two things are different than at the surface, the pressure is higher and the temperature is lower. Boyles Law (ca 1662) states that "Volume is inversely proportional to Pressure" or that with a balloon full of air if the pressure is decreased (deep to shallow) the balloon will increase in size with no additional air.    Charles' law (ca 1787) states that:
"The volume of a given fixed mass of a dry gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature at a constant pressure." meaning that a balloon full of air at 50F will increase in size if brought into 90F temperatures.

The fish is not ingesting air as it is jerked up from the depths, but the air already in the bladder is expanding as the pressure decreases and the temperature increases. Think of the bladder as a sealed balloon that was filled to capacity at -100' pressure and temperature.    No more molecules of air at the surface than at the depth, but the distance between the molecules has increased as pressure decreased and as temperature increased. 

I don't know about the fizzing healing fast or being a good ideal because if it didn't heal at all and the fish died when it returned to the -100' depth, the guy with the need would never know.

As an experiment you can take a filled balloon, measure it's circumference, put it in the freezer over night, take it out and measure it again right away and it should by Charles' Law be smaller when cold. You can also take a filled balloon and squeeze it with your hands and see that the higher  pressure from the squeezing makes the balloon smaller, but that it returns to full size when you release the pressure.   

Edit- the gas laws explained- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws

Ok, this is good stuff.   

But in the real world of what we are talking about regarding BASS in 30+FOW ...... We are only talking about a depth change of 15' and a temperature change of usually less than 10° 

Here's where it all gets stupid though: 

I got on a school of fish in 36-42' a couple years ago, and picked on them for a little over 2 weeks.  I think I caught 40-45 of them from that one particular spot, and all were Cookie cutter 15-17 inchers, and only one in 15 would have air bladder issues.  All the rest of them had no problems at all staying upright.   

Why did it effect a few, but not all ?

Caught numerous spotted bass at Lake Lanier in 45-50' back in the day.....and I don't remember any of them ever suffering from "barotrauma".