2024 Cicada Hatch

Phil Lilley

For interested fly tyers wanting to create something that looks like 2024's hatch...it turns out there is sort of a mix of 2 species in this hatch.  Here's some pics:

Magicicada neotredecim:

ndecimall.jpg

Maybe-a-Magicicada-neotredecim-in-Illino

original.jpeg

and Magicicada tredecim:

m_tdecimall.jpg

Magicicada-tredecim-Ohio-2014-caught-by-

Magicicada-tredecassini-Ohio-2014.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 8:43 AM, FishnDave said:

For interested fly tyers wanting to create something that looks like 2024's hatch...it turns out there is sort of a mix of 2 species in this hatch.  Here's some pics:

Magicicada neotredecim:

ndecimall.jpg

Maybe-a-Magicicada-neotredecim-in-Illino

original.jpeg

and Magicicada tredecim:

m_tdecimall.jpg

Magicicada-tredecim-Ohio-2014-caught-by-

Magicicada-tredecassini-Ohio-2014.jpg

That botton one looks just like my stoneflies on the underneath view

"Pretty soon we may not have any rights left because it might infringe on someone's rights"

• 1 month later...

@Scubapath I've read that the soil temp 6 inches deep needs to reach 65 degrees, they say a good warm spring rain can bring them up.  I'm betting they come up early with the warmer weather we've been having. 

Back in the 90's, we had one here.  I used black foam bodies with Krystal flash wings.  Bass loved them, as soon as they went splat on the water most of the time.  Those big bugs falling out of the sky need a loud presentation.  I think I used them on trout also, but they  are a little more skittish.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Whenever they predict a big cicada hatch I always compare it to a hatch when I was a kid.   In 1971 or 72 there was a FOR REAL hatch in Audrain, Monroe, Montgomery counties.   They were so thick that you literally couldn't take a step outside anywhere without stepping on them.   There was a smell in the air that has stuck with me for a lifetime.  

All of our bicycle tires were caked in cicada guts, and we had to take our shoes off before coming inside.   We called them "locust" back then.      

Every tree/bush, every telephone pole, and everybody's house was literally covered in them. Gutters were full.   Sidewalks, streets, parking lots and playgrounds.... completely covered.    It was gross !    The ground looked like Swiss cheese, and the noise in the evening was deafening.   

9 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

In 1971 or 72 there was a FOR REAL hatch in Audrain, Monroe, Montgomery counties.   They were so thick that you literally couldn't take a step outside anywhere without stepping on them.   There was a smell in the air that has stuck with me for a lifetime.  

Left off Ralls County.....no respect for the smallest county in the State.....😁

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein