1st Annual YETI Open Big Bass Event | Table Rock Lake | Sept 26-28th

On 9/28/2024 at 7:03 AM, skeeter said:

"donating" their money or items qualifies as a promotional business Income Tax Write-OFF that is definitely not LIMITED to the cost of the items nor just the amount of the cash awards/prizes and is beneficial to most of them since they are reaching their hard-core targets without having to fork over large sums of cash in a "shotgun" approach to advertising.   Always follow the money and Tax consequences.  42 years at a Fortune 500 Corporation in a Corporate Hdqtrs. position well aware of how Marketing minds work in conjunction with the Tax Department and the Controller's Group.

You may be aware of how marketing works, but you obviously don't understand what "donating" means when it comes to competition. A donator is somebody who is paying the entry fee to compete, but stand essentially zero chance of winning anything in return due to their lack of skill.

On 10/1/2024 at 3:59 PM, Seth said:

You may be aware of how marketing works, but you obviously don't understand what "donating" means when it comes to competition. A donator is somebody who is paying the entry fee to compete, but stand essentially zero chance of winning anything in return due to their lack of skill.

That's about as good a definition as I've seen through four decades of fishing derbies (until I gave it up a couple of years back except for the occasional benefit or "fun" event like the annual Polar Bear Tournament on Beaver Lake, where everyone is assured of a bowl of chili when they're done. Good times. Good friends.) Otherwise, I fish when I want to, stay home when I don't, and spend more time looking around appreciating all that God has made and gifted to us. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I fished a 30-40 boat team circuit on Truman this year with my 16 year old son. We did a lot of donating. We also fished the last 3 big bass bash tournaments on LOZ. Plenty of donations there as well. But, my son weighed a 4 1/2 pound fish and won a few hundred bucks. Priceless. I would estimate that 4 1/2 pound fish cost me at least 5 grand this year. I’d pay double that. 
For us, it’s not about the money at all. It’s about spending hours in a boat with my boy. There is an element of excitement and competition, learning how to lose, working together to come up with a plan, and……me teaching my son a little about fishing and a lot about life.

I get that the lakes are getting really busy on the weekends. If I lived on the lake I’m sure it would drive me crazy. We are respectful of no wake zones and other fishermen. My boat has more than two speeds and I know and follow the rules on the water. There are a few different types when it comes to tournament fishermen. Haha, we are respectful donators. It’s how I spend my discretionary funds. We buy tackle from local shops, eat at restaurants, stay in hotels, shop at the grocery store and buy gas.
I’ll admit, I do feel a little bit guilty when I read through some of the comments about tournament fishing. I appreciate the message and we do our best to enjoy our hobby without getting in anyone’s way. My favorite time on the water is practicing with my son on a random Wednesday morning.  Quiet, peaceful……but with an element of anticipation and excitement for an upcoming event. 
I really enjoy this forum. I think it’s really important to listen to everyone’s point of view, and I do. I just wish I had more to offer as far as fishing advice. All I can tell you right now……is that Truman is REALLY fishing tough. We need cooler weather. 

Thanks to everyone, Tim

21 hours ago, Brennan said:

I fished a 30-40 boat team circuit on Truman this year with my 16 year old son. We did a lot of donating. We also fished the last 3 big bass bash tournaments on LOZ. Plenty of donations there as well. But, my son weighed a 4 1/2 pound fish and won a few hundred bucks. Priceless. I would estimate that 4 1/2 pound fish cost me at least 5 grand this year. I’d pay double that. 
For us, it’s not about the money at all. It’s about spending hours in a boat with my boy. There is an element of excitement and competition, learning how to lose, working together to come up with a plan, and……me teaching my son a little about fishing and a lot about life.

I get that the lakes are getting really busy on the weekends. If I lived on the lake I’m sure it would drive me crazy. We are respectful of no wake zones and other fishermen. My boat has more than two speeds and I know and follow the rules on the water. There are a few different types when it comes to tournament fishermen. Haha, we are respectful donators. It’s how I spend my discretionary funds. We buy tackle from local shops, eat at restaurants, stay in hotels, shop at the grocery store and buy gas.
I’ll admit, I do feel a little bit guilty when I read through some of the comments about tournament fishing. I appreciate the message and we do our best to enjoy our hobby without getting in anyone’s way. My favorite time on the water is practicing with my son on a random Wednesday morning.  Quiet, peaceful……but with an element of anticipation and excitement for an upcoming event. 
I really enjoy this forum. I think it’s really important to listen to everyone’s point of view, and I do. I just wish I had more to offer as far as fishing advice. All I can tell you right now……is that Truman is REALLY fishing tough. We need cooler weather. 

Thanks to everyone, Tim

Tim, it's not the guys like you who are the problem. The ones that get my dander up are these young balls-to-the wall-guys who obviously were NOT taught respect on the water the way your boy is learning, but the ones who are are handed keys to a truck and boat to get them out of the parents' hair. 

Y'all know the ones. You're sitting there fishing a main-lake point, easily visible to anyone with eyes. Then here comes Mr. Wannabe Tournament Pro blasting down the lake and he shuts down 50 yards away. So you say something to him, thinking maybe he will realize that you are not the guy he needs to be fooling around with. And all of a sudden, YOU are the bad guy for getting teed off about this jersey jockey barging in on your spot. You are not being KIND. Well, no, I'm NOT being kind to someone who tries to bulldoze their way into my little bitty spot on this 50,000-acre lake. 

Not all tournament fishermen are created equal. And I doubt it's actually very many who pull the type of stunt described above. But there's enough of these punks out there to make trying to share the lake with them a very frustrating experience. 

You and your boy keep tournament fishing doing it right, Tim. Thank you passing along the message of sportsmanship to your boy. 

To clarify, I'm not blaming tournaments for their behavior, although I do think the adrenaline of competition ramps up their screw-you mindset. No, these are the same guys who charge through after a traffic light turns red, fail to hold open the door for others at the convenience store, and "draft" you 6 inches off your bumper despite the fact that everyone else around them is driving as fast as possible in the traffic jam that has come to define NW Arkansas.

I blame it more on poor upbringing and social media.  Our little weekly derby draws 7-10 boats and occasionally a couple more.  1000 acre lake with a max HP of 25.  Simple low key derby you'd think, after all only a $40 entry per team.  Yet we have a couple of boats with no common courtesy.  All for the ego trip I suppose and to put it all on social media.  Self proclaimed hammers.  I won't get into the over HP'd boats that are re-decaled or the old motor conversions to higher HP.