Rough fish removal a good thing? NOT SO FAST

MoCarp

3 hours ago, BilletHead said:

I do not care what you say or try to convince us. Carp are not supposed to be here period. One of the reasons they are so popular is they are one of the only things that now live in some places and are all that some have to fish for. MAN has messed up so much by trying to alter the nature of things. There are places that should be as the good Lord intended it to be (for those I have offended we will use the term MOTHER NATURE) Do you think we should stock carp into Yellowstone lake? They are just now beginning to get a handle on the lake trout and that mess. Are you Father Nature? This is my opinion just like you and your opinion you are telling us daily about and I disagree with it. Do you think in 140 years you will consider bighead and silver carp naturalized?  Shoot you might as well import anything and call it ok in 140 years?

BilletHead 

1) who decides what is "supposed to be" if thats the case take your butt back overseas and give your house over to "native americans"

2) its a myth people in europe have nothing else to fish for but carp in polluted waters, Trout, Pike, Zander (a walleye like fish) and wels Catfish just to name a few carp are the most popular by a wide margin.

3) no-I don't think they should stock carp in yellowstone lake

4) bighead and silver (carp) are not even related to common carp, do not even feed the same ways... green sunfish and largemouth bass are far closer related than bighead are to common carp..... the term "carp" is a catch all for many fish

5) we imported many things asian ring neck pheasants, cattle, bees, sweet clover, wheat, non-native species comprise 98% of livestock and food crops in the USA should those be eliminated? when the bighead and silver carp explosion happened common carp were tossed in the mix from ignorance, that is changing and many and I mean MANY people enjoy fishing for them. I won't convince everyone any more than I can make you stop running over turtles for fun..

you don't have to read my posts, but because you do, it tells me hearts and minds are changing and it just makes some people cringe

3 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I totally agree with BH.  You'll never see Carp fishing become a "real thing" because they are bottom feeders, ugly as sin, and regardless of what a bunch of people keep saying....they ain't fit to eat!   I'd rather eat a road kill gopher.

I've only seen a carp on a stringer once in my life, and that dude was poor, hungry, and two bricks short of a pallet.

In the past 20 years I have been carp fishing the number of vendors in carp gear have risen 100 fold...someone is buying the stuff..and no one eats Muskies ether do they?

2 hours ago, BilletHead said:

You may be missing some of MoCarps point Wrench. I think he would like them treated like a gamefish. Make a trophy fish out of them. Don't get me wrong if you catch them in the mouth they do fight real well but they are invasive and I lump them in with other invasive species. I have seen waters where some do good thought it would be nice to put them go to nothing but muddy waters.  

BilletHead

If you look up invasive fish you will see brown trout, largemouth bass right at the top of the list, no bass ever lived west of the rockies, and the best big carp waters are clear and clean..

2 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I''m with wrench.........except the gopher dealio.....I can't get past peas and they go all carp and gopher on me 

again no-one eats Muskies, bone fish, tarpon and many other "game fish".....

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Highly possible, that dude has more points than my wife's 1/4 acre cactus plant.  I can't keep track of them all.  

The fact that a fish fights hard just isn't enough to drag it to Sport Fish status.  They have to 1st be good to eat (and by that I mean TRULY good, not one of those things where "if you cook it right...." it's ok). 2ndly it has to predominantly chase and eat other living things. And 3rdly it has to be somewhat easy on the eyes AND be more interesting than a snail in a goldfish bowl.   I mean if you put a snail and a goldfish (pretty baby carp) in the same bowl.....the snail is still the most interesting thing in there.   

Hatchery Trout only make sportfish status by default.  

Funny thing is the most valuable fish in the world, fish that people will spend 1000'a of dollars on are carp.....yup C-A-R-P.....to think thats not going to happen here your too late it already is!!!

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

17 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Thank dog!

I have come to hate the term "Biologist" way worse than OTF hates the term "Rough fish".

Thankfully my job title doesn't include the word biologist. In fact, most card carrying "biologists" would get pretty angry if a forester like myself tried to use that term to describe myself.  :)

Aside from anything else "Rough fish" always just seemed like a weird and very "old-world-snobbery" type term for me. For me there are fish I like catching and ones I don't. The first list is long and the second is short and mostly populated by ones that have mouths that are too small to take a fly. And Asian Carp, although if I thougth I'd be any good at bow-fishing, I might even budge on that. 

Yes I fly fish for things like gar and bowfin, and I mean actively target them, not just catch them by accident sometimes. The latter is a new kick of mine. They are aggressive, rarely turn down a streamer thrown in front of them, and fight like bass, if that bass had just drank 7 red bulls.

Ugly fish belong in the river too. :)

12 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Hatchery Trout only make sportfish status by default.  

But even they will chase a streamer.

Carp don't bother me. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how popular it is but I never see anybody doing it. Oh sure google boy can throw up some crap he found online, careful not to get those mixed up with the over harvest pics. But there are very few around here doing it like he claims. Just keeps spewing all the info he can and copying and pasting it here. Sad that a life is wasted doing this. 

Almost every fisherman I know has gone through little phases of chasing carp, especially the fly fishermen, and even though it's fun for awhile the infatuation just doesn't last very long.  I maintain that guys whose actual preferred species to fish for are Carp (and has been for 20 years).... probably have a screw loose. 

When I was 7-8 years old I bought my dad a cheap blue Zippo knockoff lighter that had a gold carp print on it for Father's day.  Yeah that was back when a 7-8 year old could walk into a dime store and buy a lighter. About 10 years later I ran across it in a drawer and said "Hey you never even used your Father's day present!"

The old man said, Yeah I was a little worried about you for awhile after that. 🤔

3 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

Carp don't bother me. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how popular it is but I never see anybody doing it. Oh sure google boy can throw up some crap he found online, careful not to get those mixed up with the over harvest pics. But there are very few around here doing it like he claims. Just keeps spewing all the info he can and copying and pasting it here. Sad that a life is wasted doing this. 

I fish for carp specifically several times a year AND I throw at every one I see while bass or crappie fishing hoping to get lucky 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

3 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

It is somewhat like some websites that constantly posts #CONTENT in a shotgun method to generate clicks/page-views...without actually being the one that gets to keep the ad money.

You seem like a good guy, MoCarp, and knowledgeable, but it would be okay if you posted more original content from your own experiences on the water, in the woods, etc, and less pictures of what others are doing. I think most would find that more interesting.

Your choice entirely and none of my business though. All the best 

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

I fish for carp specifically several times a year AND I throw at every one I see while bass or crappie fishing hoping to get lucky 

I knew you were a Carp Clicker!   

Lucky?  You're bass fishing....hoping to get lucky and catch a Carp.  

WTF right now?  🤔