White Bass Size limit

Will S.

Hybrids are not technically sterile since under controlled circumstances you can make babies from a male and a female hybrid.

2 Hybrids are unlikely to make babies in the wild, but Hybrids are quite capable of reproducing or backcrossing in the wild with both parent species. 

Stripers migrate into rivers (like salmon) to spawn. Their eggs are buoyant so they can tumble down the river until they hatch. This keeps them oxygenated until they hatch. Stripers run WAY up larger flows to spawn so that the eggs can drift for days.

White Bass are similar but their eggs are adhesive and not buoyant. They attach to vegetation or rocks in rivers and creeks and the flow keeps them oxygenated until hatching. Therefore whites usually only run up creeks a couple miles at most.

The hybrid's eggs are not buoyant enough to tumble in the current like a striper, and are not adhesive enough to properly attach to rocks or vegetation. They sink to the bottom and end up in slackwater Eddy's where most become covered in sediment. This results in suffocation and a low probability of hatchlings.  

Male hybrids however are quite capable of fertilizing the eggs of female whites (in the wild)...and they do it all the time.

Oldplug,  Most of the fish y'all are catching down there are these mutts.  They are kinda hard to tell the difference until you happen into a school of pure White bass but once you have a day when you catch several of each you'll notice the difference, especially if you clean a few messes of them.  The tongue patches are weird, the lines above the lateral have a different pattern back by the tail, and the hinge on their jaw is thicker/bonier.   The Frankenstein's also do this quivering thing when you gill-clamp them to pick them up.  Pure whites just go limp.  

8 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

They are fisheries biologists who have St.Christopher medallions swinging off the rear view mirror, or Jesus fish on the back of their vehicles.  

They are messing with our fish because they think they are smart, and they need projects to justify their phoney baloney jobs.

Ok I agree that people mess with the already wonderful creation a little too much.

I assume that you must be referring to an unidentified specific person. I am sure that there are atheists and agnostics that are fish biologists too.

I think our life shows what and how we believe, although the Christian life can be difficult at times I figure I will stay with it until they put me in the ground. Gods been good to me even though I did not deserve it.

Thanks for the clarification, I am a  Christian that is why I asked.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:49 PM, Champ188 said:

Can those same people tell the difference in a Pro-V1 and a TopFlite? 😂

No - but it won't stop them from saying that they can!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

7 hours ago, dan hufferd said:

Ok I agree that people mess with the already wonderful creation a little too much.

That's why I threw in the word "alleged".

I have alot of respect for true Christians, but very little for phoney ignorant people, afraid to own their true thoughts and feelings, who pretend to be Christian because that's what they think they are supposed to do.  

I'm the son of a red-headed hot tempered Irish mother. But she was the greatest ever. I've got some, if not most of her failings myself. My dad was the most mild mannered Mr. Rogers neighborhood kind of guy. I got a few of his traits. Translated- we are all human and are flawed and need forgiveness.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

9 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

That's why I threw in the word "alleged".

I have alot of respect for true Christians, but very little for phoney ignorant people, afraid to own their true thoughts and feelings, who pretend to be Christian because that's what they think they are supposed to do.  

Thanks for the reply. I am with you there. We should all take a little internal inventory to see what is really there.