Pet Peeve

dblades

sometimes I listen to those bass fishing shows with headphones on , and I swear I hear their tails and/or spine breaking sometimes when they swing them biggins in and let em drop tail first onto the floor.

Ever caught a bass with a crooked funny looking tail that looks like it's been broken? I have.

I must always catch the ones that have had their brains scrambled after having been slammed off windshield, down the console, then the deck and then coming to a quivering catatonic rest at the bottom of the boat. I would have no chance of catching fish if not for the rip cord pulling monofilament bungee water ejection style boat flippers keeping them stupid for dummies like me.

this made me laugh,

"i could catch another two or three in the time that it takes to take a picture"

bo if it really takes you that long to take a pic of 1 bass, please don't take any more. I could snap 50 pics to your 1.Day or night.I don't get up and down any faster than you I'm a big ol' round boy :)

it's not hard at all to take a pic of a bass by yourself, have you ever seen any of any of my reports from Bull? Takes just a few seconds to snap a pic and release. Lip em with the right hand , take the hook out with the left, grab the cam ,snap a pic, release. Takes less than 30 seconds start to finish.

my boat sits low enough to the water I just reach over the side while seated and lip em. You won't find any bass slime on my floor or net. Just walleye and catfish.

well, the wind is howling, the bass are bunched up, you have to get out the camera or phone, turn it on, get glasses so you can see what the H___ you are doing, take the pic, and by now, you are about 80 yards from where you got the bass.  if i stay on the trolling motor, stay in place, unhook the bass, get right back in there, i can keep catching them.:lol:.  got to make hay while the sun shines!

bo

Was wondering how long it takes for a fish to get their "slime coat" back once it has been removed. Found this info on the interweb...so take it for what it's worth but seems like decent info:

The slime coat (mucoprotein coating) is the fish's main defenses against infection and disease. It acts as a shield against disease causing organisms in the fish's external environment.
It also acts as a barrier to prevent loss of internal electrolytes and body fluids. 
When even a small portion of the slime coating is removed, the fish will bleed electrolytes from its body into the surrounding water.

Essential electrolytes necessary for osmoregulation are lost through breaks that may occur in the skin and slime coat, causing dangerous stress. Open wounds and abrasions caused by handling and netting are readily attacked by disease organisms, resulting in further stress and disease.

When a fish is hooked or netted, handled a placed in a stressful situation, such as low oxygen, high carbon dioxide or temperature fluctuations, the slime coating is disturbed, making the fish vulnerable to disease, such as bacterial, fungal and parasitic diseases.
Particularly when fish are shipped in high concentrations in low volumes of water, they are subject to trauma such as being scraped, bitten and otherwise wounded. 

Ammonia, a waste product of fish's digestion and respiration, is released into the water containing fish.
Ammonia is also released at high levels by dead fish and decaying food.
At high ammonia levels, the fish are subject to ammonia burns which disturb the slime coating and adversely affect the fish. 

Beneath the fish's mucoprotein coating (slime coat) are its scales which can extend to the outer skin surface from the underlying dermal connective tissue. Beneath the scales in a fish's skin is the epidermis, comprising several layers of cells. The fish epidermis is distinguished from mammalian epidermis in that mammals require hardened layers of skin to prevent dehydration, whereas in the aquatic environment, the fish has no need for such protection. Thus, unlike the case in mammals, mitosis is usually seen in the lower layer of the epidermal layer of a fish. Beneath the epidermis of a fish is the dermis comprising fibrous connective tissue interspersed with black pigment cells. The vascular dermal tissue contains a network of capillaries providing nutrient to the skin. 

Stress is the number one cause of a deteriorated slime coat.
Below is a list of some of the sources of stress on a fish.

Poor water quality:
Poor water quality can really eat away at the slime coat of a fish. This can come from improper pH, salinity, etc..... The main way to avoid this is to do regular (perhaps monthly) water changes.

Water temperature:
Water temperature is one of the most overlooked problems. While different species of fish require slightly different water temperatures, it is important to make sure that the fluctuations in water temperature are moderate, both throughout the day and year.

Water changes:
Every time you change the water in you tank, you are adding stress to the fish. This comes from both the water removal process, and the introduction of new water that may contain chlorine and be at a different temperature than the aquarium water. Be particularly cautious when doing larger water changes, and make sure to use de-chlorinator to treat the water.

Transportation:
Fish do not enjoy traveling. Transporting fish can have a drastic effect on their slime coat, and often can be a nucleating cause of infection. When introducing new fish into your tank, take special care to acclimate the water temperature of the new fish with the aquarium.

Netting and Handling of fish:
In gathering bait this is the biggest problem you will be faced with.

Some don't are

Don't over crowd your net or holding tank without proper circulation-filtration-aeration.
Don't handle fish / bait anymore than you absolutely have to.
When harvesting, Use the proper size and quality of net to prevent the bait / fish from being gilled.

How to help your fish get their slime coat back.

(1) Aqueous aloe vera gel 5% to about 30%

(2) Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose (cmc) up to about 7.5 g/l (g/L is an abbreviation for grams per litre : - .0265 oz per .28.16 oz) - mucoprotein slime-replacing compound.

(3) Polyvinylpyrrolidone (pvp having the molecular weight of about 40,000 - K-30 available from GAF Corporation) 1.3 to about 25 g/l  (0.046 oz  / 28.16 oz) - mucoprotein slime-replacing compound .

(4) Sodium thiosulfate or asorbic acid 12.5 (.44 oz  to 2.12 oz  /  28.16 oz) to about 60 g/l  - dechlorinator

(5) Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) 2 g/l (.07oz  / 28.16 oz) - chelating agent.

(6) Tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane 0.3 to about 1 g/l ( .001 to .035 oz  / 28.16 oz) - maintain the pH<>Diazolidinyl urea 1.3 to about 4 g/l (.05oz to 1.4 oz  / 28.16 oz) -  preservative

(7) Aloe vera gel ("VERAGEL 1501") 4 liters (1.057) gallons.

(8) Sodium thiosulfate 1400 g (49.38 oz)

(9) Carboxymethyl cellulose 100 g. (3.52oz)

(10) Polyvinylpyrrolidone 400 g. (14.11)

(11) Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid 40 g. (1.4 oz)

(12) Tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane 17 g. ( 0.6 oz)

(13) Diazolidinyl urea 80 g. (2.8 oz) deionized water enough to dilute to a total volume of 40 liters (10.6) gallons

Wonder if these ingredients are in Rejuvenade?

Was thinking the same thing. If the ingredients and chemicals listed above are the same that are in the fish care products like Rejuvenade and others.

I wish BASS and MLF would just wise up and require them to get fish friendly nets and USE them. Like it or not their behavior drives weekend angler behavior. If they treated their fish better, it would become the norm to not mishandle your fish.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

well, the wind is howling, the bass are bunched up, you have to get out the camera or phone, turn it on, get glasses so you can see what the H___ you are doing, take the pic, and by now, you are about 80 yards from where you got the bass.  if i stay on the trolling motor, stay in place, unhook the bass, get right back in there, i can keep catching them.:lol:.  got to make hay while the sun shines!

bo

Bo, makes no difference to me if you post pics or not. I don't make the rules around here anyway nor do I want to. And far be it from me to interfere with a man who is consistently amidst multitudes of keeper bass.

Me, I usually have to take them where I can find them and rarely are they bunched up, so I have more time for taking pics. :lol:

ClassActionTransparent.png

I almost never take a photo of a fish that I am about to release, wished I had a couple times though.  No doubt it is better for the fish to not be placed on the carpet or dock or in a net etc. But I don't see me ever worrying about it or spending a second thinking "dang I wish he wouldn't lay that fish down to take its photo", I just view it, maybe like it and continue on my merry way. For others it's a pet peeve, I get that as I have plenty of pet peeves but that isn't one of them.