Sunglasses ?

• Members

After years of low end sun glasses. And I mean real low end. I’d buy 4-5 pairs at a time of yum brands at Walmart. I’m a dropper, breaker, loser of sunglasses and considered them throwaways. But for the money I’ve been surprisingly content with them. But then I got a wild hair and thought I needed “good” glasses. I did some homework, read a thread on this forum on sunglasses, then went shopping. I wound up confused by the vast selection so I just picked what seemed popular and had a high ratings. The costa cabalittos in copper lenses. Took them to Bennett a couple days ago to try them out. It does seem everything is crisper and brighter and probably overall a better view. Don’t know yet if it’s a 140 $ Better view though. Lol. BUT there was another real problem. It was evening and there was a good glare on the water but from my feet to about ten feet out I was getting a pinkish purple glare through the glasses that I could not see through. Couldn’t really even see bottom in this zone of glare even for just wading purposes. Anybody else seen this? Any thoughts or advice? 

Unless you want to carry multiple pair of shades and change throughout the day then Amber lenses are the best choice.

I've had several "quality" pairs of sunglasses in my time but none of them impressed me enough to keep buying them.  So I have a dozen pairs of Flying Fisherman,  Strike King, Ozark Trail, ect.  and I do fine with them.  When they get scratched up I grab another pair and use the old ones for eye protection while mowing and weedeating.

Always been a fan of grey/green for fishing, polarized of course.  I wear prescription lens, so unfortunately I can't get by with the cheap ones.  Never have had the "purple haze" problem.  Was that what Hendrix was singing about?  😁

I've used Smith Action Optics for the last 15 years or so. I have the guides choice version with techlite glass that are polarchromic mirrored copper lenses.  They lighten or darken with the available light. I've never had the issue that you speak of. 

What color is the lens coating on the back side of the lenses??? Purple by any chance??

Sounds like you didn't get polarized lenses. Like Wrench said, get the lightest tint of amber in a polarized lens if you want to fish with them. You don't need dark sunglasses, even mid-day, and dark ones are useless early morning or later in the evening during prime fishing hours. I have prescription sunglasses with the lightest amber tint that was available, polarized, and have bifocal cheaters/magnifiers built in so I can see to tie a hook on. Not cheap, but worth every penny to maximize my fishing enjoyment.

I’ll spare you my opinions on cheap versus good quality, amber versus gray, Action versus whoever, since you already popped for the glasses. (Besides, if you’d heeded MY comments in previous threads here you’d have a different pair of glasses and be thrilled with your choice 😄).

I think a premium brand like Costa will likely have customer service with real, English-speaking reps who would probably listen to you and maybe even have a solution. I’d start there.

John

17 hours ago, Quillback said:

Always been a fan of grey/green for fishing, polarized of course.  I wear prescription lens, so unfortunately I can't get by with the cheap ones.  Never have had the "purple haze" problem.  Was that what Hendrix was singing about?  😁

Jimi would fish a spinning reel with the reel on top and using his right hand to reel😂!

I went through a lot of cheap sunglasses myself and managed to break every pair. In 2001 I invested in a pair of Ocean Waves with a blue mirror lens and my kids called them my fish eyes since I saw fish that nobody else did. I know where they are at all times and never sat on them like the cheap pairs I used to get. About five years ago the hinge broke off and sent them in to get fixed. They called and offered a replacement pair for $60 and I jumped on it since the lenses were scratched. Bought another pair with an amber lens which I liked but loaned them to my son and never got them back. Needed a spare pair so this year I bought a pair of Costas with a green lens. It's brighter than the Ocean Waves so lately I 've been wearing them more. A good pair of sunglasses really make a difference in seeing what's below the water's surface. They make a huge difference at some of the clearer ponds I fish. I love sight fishing for trout but don't get to do it very often.  Glass lenses are much better than plastic or polycarbonate lenses. Never had an issue with purple haze or anything else with them. Something doesn't sound right. I would check on it, maybe a defective pair.