Empty Seats this weekend?

BassPastor

Was out to around 12:00 today. Was down by Indian Point and point 5 area for a while. 

The conditions were what we deal with all the time up where I come from. It did seem kind of rough for down here but would be considered halfway calm up home. LOL

Very nice build.   I enjoyed your post on tinboats. 

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

• Members
1 hour ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

Very nice build.   I enjoyed your post on tinboats. 

I really appreciate that! It was a fun project, though it severely diminished my fishing time last summer. Still hope to get a proper bass boat someday, but like I said my favorite type of boat is the paid for kind. 

4 minutes ago, BassPastor said:

Still hope to get a proper bass boat someday, but like I said my favorite type of boat is the paid for kind. 

When I was younger I was lucky enough to be able to do a lot of bass fishing (Thanks Dad). I caught just as many fish out of the old 77 Ranger as I did the new Champion. The proper boat for fishing is whichever one you are currently in. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

When I was younger I was lucky enough to be able to do a lot of bass fishing (Thanks Dad). I caught just as many fish out of the old 77 Ranger as I did the new Champion. The proper boat for fishing is whichever one you are currently in. 

I can't complain!

There is something to be said for safety on bigger reservoirs like Table Rock. I think the events of this summer reminded us all of the fact that weather can change quickly out there. When that happens, there is a big difference between a 35 hp and a 150 hp. Additionally, I have interest in casual tournament fishing, which I can't do out of the tinny for obvious reasons.  

22 minutes ago, BassPastor said:

I can't complain!

There is something to be said for safety on bigger reservoirs like Table Rock. I think the events of this summer reminded us all of the fact that weather can change quickly out there. When that happens, there is a big difference between a 35 hp and a 150 hp. Additionally, I have interest in casual tournament fishing, which I can't do out of the tinny for obvious reasons.  

I wouldn't let the weather hold you back(summer boat traffic is another deal all together). Understand that the ability to run back to where you started or out run a storm isn't required. If in fact the weather were to change that fast there are hundreds of miles of bank you can pull a well built tin boat onto to avoid a serious disaster.  

Sure you're never going to be able to fish from one end of the lake to the other but nobody catches fish running all day. I find even with the ability to run 20 miles either way of my launch I stay within 5 miles either way pretty consistently. 

• Members

@Devan S. good points. There always seems to be plenty of empty slips to pull into should the weather turn. I will admit that you develop a different mindset when your motor is 40 yrs old, it's never failed me yet but you never know lol. A good trolling motor is always a good backup to have. 

18 hours ago, Hunter53 said:

Was out to around 12:00 today. Was down by Indian Point and point 5 area for a while. 

The conditions were what we deal with all the time up where I come from. It did seem kind of rough for down here but would be considered halfway calm up home. LOL

Your right, by Noon it had completely blown out.  Between 9 and 10 o'clock it was over 4 footers blowing the point 5 stretch.  If your used to fishing in 4' water you should have come to lake Superior and been my guide as he canceled my trip due to 3' wave action.  Coast guard flies a warning flag for 3' surf and none of the guides will fish with the flag flying.

Anything happens in a commercial or guide boat caring clients when that flag is up and you can bet your probably going to jail and lose everything you own not to mention ruin peoples lives for ever.

We have had more than our share of rough water problems down here and were not going to take paying clients out in that kind of wind and wave action.