Big One Got Away

Phil Lilley

• Root Admin

Was fishing yesterday afternoon down by the Landing and hooked something that didn't cooperate at all.  Had 2-pound line on throwing a 1/32nd ounce jig.  I knew immediately it was big and heavy.  It didn't shake or bolt, just bulldogged me, came towards the boat and then made a bee-line away.  I was on my trolling motor trying to follow it when my line went limp.  I bet he ran into some steel structure that dots the bottom of the lake in that area.  It was as if he cut it with a knife - clean cut.

I would have liked to just see it... but I have a feeling it was a big carp.  I'll never know!

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

We all need that to happen once and awhile,

It lets our imagination go wild. 

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

19 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

We all need that to happen once and awhile,

It lets our imagination go wild. 

BilletHead

Never more true than when bottom fishing in the ocean. 

I recall one trip when I had a great bite and hooked something heavy. I would pull up and reel down to take in line. Each time that I dropped the rod there would be one or more heavy rugs on the line. Everyone around me speculated as to the species. Got to be a big black grouper. No its an amberjack. Red grouper pull heavy like that... I said it felt like a rock. I ended up pulling in a sponge attached to a coconut sized rock😂. No I did not put that on my life list.

49 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Some rocks fight real good.  At least that's what I've heard.  Sticks too.

Rick I caught that "rock bass" with you last year at jigfest. I had a great hookset on that rock😂.

9 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Fishing near the bottom?

Maybe it was suspended near the thermocline? 

7 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Rick I caught that "rock bass" with you last year at jigfest. I had a great hookset on that rock😂.

Heck when you fished with me there were many rocks you set the hook into. I remember too we had to go over and release all the rocks. #freethefighter   #keepthemwet . I may also add no rocks were hurt during this outing. Also do rocks feel pain?

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead